Nikkor lens fitting

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by andyw, Jan 28, 2010.

1. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I have seen many great images from Nikkor lenses. What fitting do they use and where would be a good place to get the adapter? Would it be the good old bay of e?

2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Andy

After quite a bit of searching around on forums - I bought mine off EBay a week ago - RJ camera - £48 - from a (Chinese - name anyway), guy who lives in good olde Basingstoke - up the road from you - they are about £10 to £20 cheaper (same adapter) if you get them direct from rjfinance in China - but I did not want to sugar about with waiting and maybe a customs fee

Paid by PP and the adapter arrived in two days

It is well made and seems OK - there is a very slight movement between the lens and the adapter - not sure if this effects anything?

here

• Like Like x 1
  3. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Thanks very much for the link.

Are all nikkon lenses the same fitting? and whats the deal with the name Nikkon and Nikkor ?

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Nikkor is the brand name of Nikon lenses.

To add to the confusion, Nikon did sell low end lenses (E Series) under the Nikon brand name and did make low end cameras under the Nikkormat name.

All 35mm SLR and dSLR lenses are based on the F mount from 1959 but later G series lenses don't have an aperture ring. The mount has only differed with things like meter coupling and AF drive connections. You can mount virtually any Nikon/Nikkor SLR/dSLR lens and use it (without AF and in the case of G lenses, aperture control).

There are now adapters that include a control to vary the aperture for G lenses.

5. samtan

samtan New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2010
    Hi Pete,

What is the brand of those adapters that can be used on the Nikkor G type of lens?

Thanks!

Sam

6. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    I think that is Novoflex: Click!

Cheers
    rst

• Like Like x 1
  7. samtan

samtan New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2010
    Hi RST,

Thanks for the link! :)

8. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I now have the Novoflex adapter for Nikon to m4/3 with aperture adjustment for lenses without aperture rings, such as the Nikon G series.

Firstly its very well made and very simple to fit.

There is a blue ring close to the camera end that lets you adjust the aperture steplessly.

There's not much travel in it so a fairly small turn can get you from the widest to the smallest aperture quite quickly.

There's also no indication of what aperture you're selecting, so this is very much a process of guesswork and looking at the screen or EVF to judge the depth of field.

However in practice it works very well. I'm using it with a Nikon 55-200MM F4.5-5.6 AF-S VR DX lens and its reasonably easy to use hand held & very easy to use to use on a tripod.

It does of course open up the possibility of all sorts of Nikon and 3rd. party Nikon fit lenses being able to be used with m4/3.

I'm pleased with it - its simpler to use than I thought. Though not cheap.

https://www.mu-43.com/album.php?albumid=214&pictureid=1714

• Like Like x 2
  9. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Images using adapter

Went out yesterday to try the NIkon 55-200G DX VR zoom with the Novoflex adapter for G series Nikon lenses with no aperture rings. I used My GH1 and a tripod.
    I wanted to see how the lens performed at different apertures and how the adapter worked.
    Firstly I was a bit disappointed with the lens at small apertures. With a lens this long, apertures like f16 and f22 come into play with the need to maximise DOF. However it didn't perform terribly well at those apertures, or my guesstimate of those apertures since there's no way to tell using the adapter.
    The lens is actually very good wide open & nice and crisp even at 200mm.

The adapter was OK to use in practice & the stepless aperture ring has a smooth turning action.

I will see what its like to use hand-held in my next test.

There's more pictures with the lens at:-

https://www.mu-43.com/album.php?albumid=216

[​IMG]

10. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    G1 with Nikon 85mm f1.8D

Two images with this combination. This is a very sharp lens on m4/3 though difficult to focus if used hand held.

Attached Files:

11. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    "difficult to focus"

unless I use a tripod - that's what I'm finding - I'm wondering whether it is worth it with most MF lenses

Certainly a lot easier, (and enjoyable), using my MF lenses with my D300

12. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I must admit using MF lenses on m4/3 is loosing some of its attraction for me also. Its all the button pushing, and magnifying.

13. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Been looking at this Nikon lens adapter, fits all Nikon mount lenses. Have bought Canon FD and Olympus OM adapters from the same seller, very pleased with the quality.

John.

14. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    From soundimageplus: "I must admit using MF lenses on m4/3 is loosing some of its attraction for me also. Its all the button pushing, and magnifying."

Yeah what's up with that? At least with the panny, after you've pushed the 2 buttons and focused, a half press of the shutter gets you out of MF assist so you can compose and shoot.
    For Olympus it's super stupid; after all, hasn't Oly had a OM legacy adapter from the very beginning?
    We deserve a firmware update or a HACK (even I'd pay for a hack, and I'm as cheap as they come). Here's how it would work. When the camera senses there's no AF lens is attached it automaticaly goes into MF mode. Then, with a single press of the +/- button on the Oly or the Q.MENU button on the Panny, you get magnified view, and, with a half press of the shutter it's back to full view.
    I miss the way my Minolta D7 worked. The magnify button wasn't next to the shutter, but it was easy to locate with the right thumb, and isolated so you couldn't hit any other buttons accidentally.

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I use the VF-2 and it is quite easy to focus normally (manually). Put the camera on "A" pick an aperture depending on my desired result, focus, and shoot. I used a camera for years like this (Nikon F3).