1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by slothead, Sep 1, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    From a street-scene car show in downtown Frederick, MD, 9/1/12

P9010166a1a.

Oly OM-D E-M5, ISO1000, 1/1000, f/4, Apert-Prior.

• Like Like x 4
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Yep, the color matches the plate - nice!

3. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Very impressed with this Lens on OMD attached using Fotodiox adapter.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. maxboni

maxboni Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 4
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Only if the sherbet is orange. It doesn't match at all for lime!:biggrin:

The Nikkor 85mm is a highly regarded lens. Nice pics, thanks.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Here's a question that I have never researched: I never use neutral density filters and am curious if an ND affects the effective aperture value. Since it reduces the light energy entering the lens (and results in an increased shutter), does it also lengthen the depth of field? Can someone who has worked with these (Tobias) comment on this effect?

Thanks,

7. Tobias

Tobias New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013
    Vancouver Canada
    ND Filters

Hi Tom,
    All the ND filter does is reduce the amount of light entering the lens. An ND6 reduces the value by 2 stops ( ND3 is 1 stop, ND6 is 2 stops ND9 ..3 stops etc). I use them outside when I want to set the Aperture ( Iris) to a given value. I shoot Manual 90% of the time so when I shoot I know ahead of time what F stop I want to use . If I want to say shoot wide open for maximum depth of field, using the ND filters just helps with this in bright light .It helps by giving you more control of the other 2 settings left to expose the shot properly...the Shutter speed and the ASA (ISO).
    So for me ..if I'm wandering around with an OM-D and an 85 f1.4 lens on it..and I want to shoot those out of focus background shots with the nice bokeh ..I will preset the F stop to 1.4 (or close) preset the ISO to say 200. and only adjust the shutter speed.
    So to answer your question an ND filter only effects the aperture value in that if you had a shot composed for the correct exposure .say F 2.8..and then you slapped say an ND6 filter on it..you would lose 2 stops of light so you would then set the F stop to 1.4 to expose properly. By doing this you would then reduce your depth of field . The background focus then starts getting so called "creamy er " ( or words to that effect).This works nicely with my Nikon 85f1.4 because the lens iris has 9 blades and they are rounded blades. I'm sure there are lots of other lenses doing the same thing but this works for me. It works on my D3s nicely ..but now since I just bought the OM-D this 85mm is now effectively a 170mm ...soooooo hooray for the IBIS !
    Sorry for this long winded explanation but it just may help some others who are are wondering about light reducing filters. P.S. If you buy an ND make sure its decent quality..you dont want to compromise the image quality just to use an ND filter. I very rarely use filters ....this is about the only one these days that I will put on the front of a lens.
    Cheers!:smile:

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

ND does not affect the DOF. It is one reason why they are used. You can keep a specific shutter speed and aperture but still adjust the exposure. This was big back in the days before adjustable ISO{hard to change film halfway through a roll!}.

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks guys. One of the reasons that I had asked this is that I can see better in the rain with sunglasses on (although they may be polarized - which s a different story altogether) and I was curious if there was a relationship. I still don't understand why the DF changes with a different aperture, but you guys did answer my ND question.

Thanks,

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    DOF is determined by the size of the entrance pupil of the lens. Stopping down a lens reduces the size of the entrance pupil and thus both changes the DOF and the amount of light coming through the lens. When you add an ND filter to the lens, the entrance pupil stays the same, thus while the amount of light coming through changes, the size of the entrance pupil stays the same and the DOF stays the same.

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    MAubrey, were you trying to answer my question as to why the smaller pupil causes a deeper DoF? If so, it doesn't come anywhere near. I appreciate the effort though.

12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Here's another try then:

In the same way that the shape of out of focus highlights is determined by shape of the aperture, the size of the out of focus highlights is also determined by the size of the aperture. When the size of those out of focus highlights becomes so small that they're indistinguishable from an individual point, they give the appearance of being in focus.

220px-Depth_of_field_illustration.svg.

So at smaller apertures, your out of focus areas are realized by smaller and smaller circles and more of your image is in focus (i.e. is realized by circles that cannot be distinguished from an individual point). That's why people talk about "circles of confusion."

• Like Like x 1
  13. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Ahhh! Now we are getting close. I need to pensate on this a bit. For some reason, reading via the iPad Mu43 app, when I try to open the image, it is very nearly all black. That's not your fault I don't think, and anyway I'll read it on my laptop later

Thanks,

14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    OK MAubrey, I understand your explanation and I guess it is a simple effect than I had imagined. The graphic really helped. And Tobias your video said about the same thing but in a slightly different way, still somewhat helpful.

Thanks guys,