Nikkor 85mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slothead, Aug 19, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Well I've got my Nikkor adapter on order (should be here Tuesday), and I'm ready to slap that 85mm puppy on the E-M5. It should be fantastic. Of course I'll have to get used to focusing manually again (it's been awhile except with the 500mm P f/4) but I'm not concerned one single bit. I just know its gonna be a great combo. :smile:

2. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    Which 85/1.4 will you be using? The OMD works great with adapted lenses, and manual focusing is simple and accurate with the focus point enlargement feature.

I noticed something in the viewfinder yesterday while using the Nikkor 105/2.5 ai-s. It appears that the color of the image, as viewed in the EVF, changes a little bit when the image is focus. It seems to lose saturation or something. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    The AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4D IF (obviously without the ability to make use of the AF). Nikkor # 1933.

Speaking of viewfinder effects, yesterday I made the mistake of using my polarized sunglasses looking in the EVF of the E-M5. I was dumbfounded until I realized it was the sunglasses' polarization that was creating the dark area in the EVF.

4. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    • Like Like x 2
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Imposing isn't it! Having been a hunter in "the old days" and having converted to hunting with a camera, looking into that 85mm f/1.4 is like staring down the barrel of a 10 gauge shotgun! :smile:

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    OK, my stuff's here and this is what it looks like on the E-M5:

_D8L1537a2.

_D8L1538a2.

_D8L1539a2.

And I am officially impressed with its performance as evidenced by the following:

P8210042a1.

I don't think I have a lens in my inventory that can deliver this much clarity on any of my DSLRs (except for the D800). To wit:

_D8L1541a3.

^ Same lens on the D800 with the same sharpening factors applied.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    My all-time favorite lens! I have captured more images to my satisfaction with that lens than with any other.

8. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Where did you purchase your Nikon adapter?

9. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    It's looking good!

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Amazon I think, for like 24 bucks! It is a Fotodiox "Nik-m4/3"

(remember clunk, that this is just a dumb aluminum tube with interfacing bayonet connections on each end. No electricals and no mechanisms, and only allows manual focus.)

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hey Morton, I like your username. It's the designation that we had in the USAF for Titan II ICBM sites. "BLX" stood for "basic launch complex." For me that was a long time ago...

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I took the Oly out this afternoon with the Nikkor 85/1.4 and the Fotodiox adapter. At the end of the day the connection between the Nikkor and the Fotodiox was wobbly and very loose. I was concerned that the adapter was made of soft metal and had been affected by the mass of the 85. Instead I found that the three screws that hold the Nikon adapter ring onto the adapter body were very loose. Once I tightened them up everything was fine. I will probably want to put some Loctite on the three screws