Nikkor 85mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slothead, Aug 19, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Well I've got my Nikkor adapter on order (should be here Tuesday), and I'm ready to slap that 85mm puppy on the E-M5. It should be fantastic. Of course I'll have to get used to focusing manually again (it's been awhile except with the 500mm P f/4) but I'm not concerned one single bit. I just know its gonna be a great combo. :smile:

2. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    Which 85/1.4 will you be using? The OMD works great with adapted lenses, and manual focusing is simple and accurate with the focus point enlargement feature.

I noticed something in the viewfinder yesterday while using the Nikkor 105/2.5 ai-s. It appears that the color of the image, as viewed in the EVF, changes a little bit when the image is focus. It seems to lose saturation or something. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    The AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4D IF (obviously without the ability to make use of the AF). Nikkor # 1933.

Speaking of viewfinder effects, yesterday I made the mistake of using my polarized sunglasses looking in the EVF of the E-M5. I was dumbfounded until I realized it was the sunglasses' polarization that was creating the dark area in the EVF.

4. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    • Like Like x 2
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Imposing isn't it! Having been a hunter in "the old days" and having converted to hunting with a camera, looking into that 85mm f/1.4 is like staring down the barrel of a 10 gauge shotgun! :smile:

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    OK, my stuff's here and this is what it looks like on the E-M5:

_D8L1537a2.

_D8L1538a2.

_D8L1539a2.

And I am officially impressed with its performance as evidenced by the following:

P8210042a1.

I don't think I have a lens in my inventory that can deliver this much clarity on any of my DSLRs (except for the D800). To wit:

_D8L1541a3.

^ Same lens on the D800 with the same sharpening factors applied.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    My all-time favorite lens! I have captured more images to my satisfaction with that lens than with any other.

8. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Where did you purchase your Nikon adapter?

9. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    It's looking good!

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Amazon I think, for like 24 bucks! It is a Fotodiox "Nik-m4/3"

(remember clunk, that this is just a dumb aluminum tube with interfacing bayonet connections on each end. No electricals and no mechanisms, and only allows manual focus.)

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hey Morton, I like your username. It's the designation that we had in the USAF for Titan II ICBM sites. "BLX" stood for "basic launch complex." For me that was a long time ago...

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I took the Oly out this afternoon with the Nikkor 85/1.4 and the Fotodiox adapter. At the end of the day the connection between the Nikkor and the Fotodiox was wobbly and very loose. I was concerned that the adapter was made of soft metal and had been affected by the mass of the 85. Instead I found that the three screws that hold the Nikon adapter ring onto the adapter body were very loose. Once I tightened them up everything was fine. I will probably want to put some Loctite on the three screws

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.