1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikkor 50mm f1.4D on OMD

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NoTan2, Mar 30, 2014.

1. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Apologies if this has been answered before. Possibly I've been asking Google the wrong questions but I can't find much on this. Nobody seems to have mentioned it in any of the "Recommend me a 50mm..." threads here.

I've recently bought an EM-5 for some upcoming travel. It came with the 14-42 II R and 40-150. After reading every lens review and "Which lens?" thread I could find, I'm thinking that I'd be pretty well equipped with the kit lenses together with an Oly 9-18mm and Oly 25mm f1.8.

However, a couple of days ago, I was concerned that my D7000 was feeling neglected, so I pulled it out of the bag and noticed my 50mm f1.4D Nikkor. I picked it up and thought that it might not look out of place on the OMD. It's fairly heavy for its size but then so is the OMD. It looks tiny on the D7000 and would certainly not be a chore to carry around on my trips.

Since it has an aperture ring, I assume that I can use one of the cheaper lens adapters. I also realise that I'll be focussing manually and I presume that the EVF will dim when I stop it down? Perhaps it might confuse the metering as well? No EXIF data recorded?

Has anyone tried this lens on m4/3? In general, is the IQ/ extra speed from an FF prime worth the effort?

Thanks ,
    Paul.

2. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I have this lens. Nice pics from it. Nice bokeh! I have a $30 adapter off of eBay that works just fine. Shoot in Aperture priority and camera does the rest for you. And you are correct it will record no info from the lens. I'm not going to lie to you though. I hardly use mine, but I have lots of fast native glass. I've actually been toying with selling it. For the price of an adapter though it's cheap way to a fast lens.

3. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Thanks for that.

I'll do some research on adapters in that case. It's not going to break the bank to see if it's a practical proposition or just some fun. Either way, it's worth trying.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't have a 1.4 but I do have a F1.2 and I use it a fair amount. I think it is well worth the ~$30 for an adapter to give it a whirl.

5. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I have the Nikkor 50 f/1.4 with an inexpensive adapter that I use on Lumix G1 and GH2. I like the lens and have used it a good bit for shallow depth of field shots including informal portraits. It is, of course, manual focus but the focus ring is very smooth and with some practice you can reach sharp focus very quickly. You're just looking at a modest investment in an adapter, so I'd recommend you go for it.

6. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Thanks for your replies.

I often manually focus the 50 on my D7000 and D70s. Autofocus is pretty slow on this lens anyway. On my daughter's D5100 there isn't a choice since it won't autofocus on that camera anyway.

I've always been happy with the lens on Nikon bodies, so this looks like it might be an interesting exercise. From a quick search, the cheap adapters seem a bit hit and miss - even the same brands get varying comments from users.

7. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Keep your Nikon mount glass, this is my 50mm f/1.2 AI-S:
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=52850&p=526629#post526629

I recommend it as an alternative option to getting more m43 optics initially, you'll have fun if you're already fine with manually focusing them because the E-M5's magnification makes that trivial practically.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had the 50mm 1.4 AIS which I believe has the same if not similar optical formula as the 50 1.4 AF-D. On the E-M5 I found it very dreamy wide open, but stopped down it was insanely sharp. Though I didn't like the wide open performance and I think the 50 1.8 does better than the 1.4 version when at 1.8.

Here's a crop at I believe 5.6 on the E-M5 & 50 1.4 AIS:

9. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    I've ordered an adaptor from the US.

Jonathan,
    I find the lens is sharpest from about f4. It will be interesting to try it on the OMD.

Reflector,
    I'm a much better buyer than a seller. I'll be keeping the lens. :smile:

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have an AIS 50mm f1.4 and the 50mm f1.8 E and both work great on m4/3, as do many other lenses.

11. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    The adaptor arrived from Rainbow. Everything fits together snugly.

I've always thought that the lens looked a bit silly (ie small) on the front of the D7000 but, on the OMD, it looks much more in proportion.
    The combination is quite heavy in comparison to my other lenses but it balances well and, most importantly, the focus ring is in the right spot for my finger and thumb.

I'll take some photos on the weekend and see how they look compared to the Sigma 60. I suspect that the Sigma will be sharper but that doesn't concern me. The Nikkor is very soft wide open, anyway, so it doesn't have any useful speed advantage.
    I took a few test shots in very poor lighting and it all seemed to work as expected. I just left the camera set to Aperture Priority.

I'll need to read the manual again but I expect that I'll need to tell IBIS what the focal length is?