Nikkor 300mm possible issue?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RnR, Nov 3, 2011.

1. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Pretty new to all this photography stuff, but my spider sense is kinda tingling...

[​IMG]

The ability of the focusing ring to move past infinity is not quite right is it? Or is it irrelevant?

Sample quick test shot on from a few days ago (overcast and windy - 1/125s, f/4.5, ISO 200, tripod, 2sec delay);

http://www.metrohippy.com/images/birdcropped.JPG

Thoughts?

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    • Like Like x 1
  3. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Geez. Not sure the comment above was necessary.

It's most likely your adapter. Pretty tight tolerances would be needed to machine the adapter to the perfect length to give you exact infinity focus. Since most of us don't want to spend more than $20 for an adapter, the manufacturers err on the side of letting you focus past infinity rather than risking a limit of focus short of infinity, which would be a much worse problem.

Not sure if the $179 Voigtlander adapter is a solution to this problem or not. I'm sure there are some owners here who have some hands-on experience with it.

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    shnitz's leads were right on the money. Nothing to do with the adapter :)

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That seems a bit excessive. I have a Nikkor 500mm mirror which did the same thing and I just took it in for an adjustment. You need to examine your images at 100% to determine sharpness. A simple test of measuring out to a target, take a photo per the scale on the lens then take a photo by focusing. Repeat the process at different distances. Use a tripod to minimize operator error and you can use a beach chair or trash can or similar object as a moveable target. Then compare the images, if they are not equally sharp then an adjustment is necessary. If the focused image is consistently sharp, then don't worry about it.

G

• Like Like x 1
  6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Looks like I have a project for the weekend. Thanks Gary, I'll give that a go.

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My 300mm Nikkor, though older, does not do this.

I agree it could simply be that the focusing ring is off a bit. Mirror lenses I have owned have all focused past infinity to allow for cold affecting the mirrors.

Should not affect pictures on m43 cameras as they (and this lens) are manual focus anyway. Does it focus beyond infinity or at infinity when you turn it all the way?