1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Nikkor 20mm f/4 AI

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by grebeman, Dec 12, 2012.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I was a little surprised not to find an existing thread for this lens, so herewith some images from a walk I made this morning with my newly acquired (secondhand) version of this lens. As usual with lenses made for film I find some loss of resolution at the edge of the field of view. However there are no problems with vignetting, distortion or chromatic aberrations to speak of.

I set off from my cottage to walk the local lanes with the Nikon mounted om my GH2.

Great_Luscombe_Gates_1070757.
    At the top of the first hill, a shot against the light of the still rather low sun. No flare evident here

Great_Luscombe_windblown_trees_1070764.
    I diverted from the path across Great Luscombe to photograph these windblown hedgerow trees

tree_near_Furze_Cross_1070772.
    Further on near Furze Cross, and the lane here is tarmaced despite the appearances to the contrary

wooden_skull_peers_over_wall_1070781.
    Past Bowden Farm and this wooden skull or animal shape appears above the stone wall

Duncombe_Cross_1070783.
    Just in case I was going to get lost, although I took a fourth, un-signposted route

windblown_tree_1070794.
    I passed beneath my favourite windblown tree, not far to go now

Orchard_1070802.
    The orchard, about 100 yards from home

This lens seems to need between 1/3 and 1 stop of overexposure and the highlights seem well controlled which is not always the case with lenses designed as digital.Perhaps this lens has less inherent contrast which suits a digital sensor. The colour rendition I also find quite pleasing. All in all a probable keeper.

Post processing was carried out using Photo Ninja

Barrie

• Like Like x 3
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Very nice shots. I've had one once, and boy was that thing unsharp in the corners. And loads of CA... Apparently it works a lot better on the smaller µ4/3 sensor. Just during dinner I told my wife I regretted selling my Rokkor 20/2.8 :frown:.

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    There would appear to be something we don't understand about adapted lenses, why some good ones for film fail when used with digital sensors and seemingly the opposite is also true. I wonder if the results with some lenses is influenced by the pixel density of the sensor. I'm almost tempted to get an adapter for my old warhorse of an Olympus E1 and see how that lens performs with a 5Mp sensor.

Barrie

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Number 1 is fabulous.