Nikkor 180mm or 200mm for my G3?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chasm, Jul 1, 2012.

1. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    The title says it all really. Does anyone have any experience of using either the 180mm f2.8 or the 200mm f4 on µ4/3? I'm referring to the manual versions.

I believe both lenses are pretty well regarded, but I'm particularly interested in the speed/weight/balance/DOF trade-offs...

I'm also wondering about the Nikkor 100-300mm zoom - simply too big for µ4/3 or is it usable? I know at least one forumite uses one but for all I know he may be an Olympic basketball player or professional tag wrestler.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    You will be facing a hard time with both lenses : very difficult to avoid shake without IS at such long focal lengths. I own both the 180/2.8 ED and the Micro-Nikkor 200/4 and had very few keepers with these lenses until I recently purchased an OM-D that has in body image stabilizing, which helps a lot !

C U
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 180 2.8 is known to be very sharp. I believe someone did test with the 200 f/4 AIS on an M43 setup, but it wasn't that great. Probably better off getting one of the native telephoto zoom lenses. It will be very shaky in the VF without some sort of stabilization.

4. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Thanks Rafael, but how did people cope before such things were invented?

I was admiring a recent post on the Panasonic 100-300mm thread earlier today and the photographer said that the reason it was so good is because he focussed it manually! Although that said I suppose that lens does have OIS...

5. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
    I believe I shot this one with a monopod. But it's the Nikkor AI 200mm f/4 with Kiron 2x TC, LoL.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bzhou/5291018300/" title="P1030057 by bzhou, on Flickr"> 5291018300_e30e293349_b. "768" height="1024" alt="P1030057"></a>

6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I have the 180mm ED 2.8 for my OM-D. Great lens, zero issues with sharpness/contrast and CA is very well controlled. It was slightly awkward at first to hold until I found the "right hold" to maintain balance but still have a finger or two on the focus ring. Once I got comfortable with it I actually find it to balance pretty nicely on the OM-D.

Without IBIS it would be a slightly better bet than the F4 but either will require good light, saying that though, in general I find it easier (in terms of shutter slow shutter speed) to handhold a heavier legacy lens than a light native lens.
    If you decide on the 180 send me a PM I may sell mine to help fund a 75mm...still debating on that one.....

7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    These lenses were intended for use on 24x36 (so called FF) cameras in the first place. On crop cameras, the field of view is only 1/4 (half horizontally and half vertically)... so shake is four times ...

For the Micro-Nikkor 200/4, I have the tripod collar, so I could use it on my former micro4/3 cameras with good sharp results. But the 180/2.8 ED doesn't have a tripod collar, so handheld shooting was mandatory. That's where the trouble started, unless I disposed of lots of light !

But, they both perform magically, thanks to the IBIS of the OM-D.
    There's another lens I own that started to do magic on the OM-D ! It's the Zoom-Nikkor 80-200/2.8 ED ! If you're lucky, or you can wait, you'll find them at good price !
    And I can shoot handheld with my Reflex-Nikkor 500/8, and that was absolutely out of the question on any other micro4/3 body !

C U,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1