1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikkor 105 f2.5 p

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by marcsitkin, Mar 15, 2013.

1. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Ran across an older (silver barrel) Nikkor 105 mm f/2.5 lens yseterday. No lens hood, case or lens cap, but in good shape, blades stop down smoothly, no scratches, little dust. Asking price is $180, which seems a bit high since it's not in pristine condition. Also, focusing feels a little stiff. Wondering what others might feel is a good offering price and purchase price. It's at a pawn shop, and I'm pretty sure that there is room to move the price a bit. It would go onto my OMD EM5.

2. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
    The silver barrel P is non-AI (should not be mounted on most Nikon DSLRs), and use the old Sonnar design. IMHO the asking price is too high.

3. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    I have the Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 non-AI lens and use it a fair bit on my E-30 and E-M5 as a medium range telephoto. I am pretty please with the results, although I use it less since I purchased the 50-200mm ZD zoom.

I use KEH as a guide for pricing and often purchase from them. KEH has a number of this lens for sale and, depending upon the condition you would like to buy, the prices range from about $115-150. So I agree with the above assessment that it is a bit overpriced, especially since KEH is extremely conservative in their ratings and their prices are lower.

4. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Thanks Brian, I think I'd offer $100 and settle at $135, or bundle with another lens.
    I think they would be a good source of legacy glass, but I want to get in at wholesale pricing so I can resell if I don't want to keep a lens.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Much nicer and newer versions of this lens sell on ebay for as low as $100!{although average is around $200 it appears}. It is a very good lens and if you can find one of the last ones it has decent coatings. I would pass on the one at that pawn shop as it is pre-Ai{pre 1977}.

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have a Nikon E 100mm f2.8 coming to me via a friend in CT with a right of refusal, good price. I like the compact size it offers. Also a Zukio 135mm f3.5 to check out. Might be a bit slow, but my wife might like it.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Nikon 100mm E is a great lens! Back in the day I wanted the 105mm but couldn't afford it{a friend had one}. I got the 100mm E instead and loved it to death. It is also much better adapted to m4/3 because it is smaller and lighter. The 100mm E is smaller in diameter{about the same length} and much lighter than the Nikkor 50mm f1.4!

8. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
    +1
    Especially the part of being smaller and lighter, and better match with m4/3.
    I just added one pic to the Sample Image Archive.