Showcase Nikkor 100-300mm f/5.6 AI-s Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Dc5e, May 3, 2015.

1. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    I was looking for some more reach on the cheap and found the Nikkor 100-300mm f/5.6 AI-S Macro. These can be found on ebay for around $70. There's not a lot of information on this lens but from what I've read, I figured it couldn't be that bad so I decided to give it a shot.

The lens I received was flawless with absolutely no wear on it. My first impressions were, wow... this thing is huge and heavy. It's a fairly substantial lens and unfortunately it doesn't have a tripod collar. The zoom mechanism is pretty lightweight and maybe a little too easy to slide. One good/bad thing is that the push-pull action doesn't actually extend the lens. This is nice in that you don't have to worry about the lens sucking in air and ultimately dust, but on the downside, this means that the lens doesn't get any smaller. One thing that caught me off guard was that the push-pull zooms in the opposite direction of other lenses. 100mm Focal length is pushed out, while 300mm is pulled in.

Macro focusing can only be done at 100mm. When the barrel is pushed out, the focus ring is able to turn to the orange section and the lens is fixed at 100mm. To change focal lengths, you have to move the focus point out of the orange section. The bee photo was a macro shot.

I've been using this lens on my new to me E-M10 with Fotodiox grip. I haven't really tried it without the grip, and honestly, I don't think I would be able to use it without the grip. Here are some of my results. Overall, the lens is quite good for the price. Sharpness is a little better than my 45-200mm (I've always been disappointed with that lens), though I feel like the colors are just slightly more muted and less vibrant (maybe slightly less contrasty). The overall results are pretty nice and there isn't too much fringing.

[​IMG]Backyard Rabbits by Dc5e, on Flickr

[​IMG]Busy Bees by Dc5e, on Flickr

[​IMG]American Robin by Dc5e, on Flickr

[​IMG]Noisy Frogs by Dc5e, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Nice grab for $70. Nice pics. Good luck with it.