Nik Software Full Suite Now Just $126.65 Using Coupon Code "MU-43"

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    UPDATE: According to an email received from Google, the affiliate coupon will expire on April 2.

Now owned by Google, Nik Software dropped the price of their full software suite to just $150.

After applying our 15% coupon code "MU-43", the final cost is $126.65!

Direct link: Nik Collection

This is huge price cut on great software. I've long been a fan of Silver Efex Pro (for black and white conversions), Dfine (for noise reduction), and Viveza (very powerful tool for selective color/tone/brightness adjustments). Color Efex, Sharpener, and HDR Efex are also very well regarded apps.

Update / important note: If you have already purchased any of the Nik Software programs within the past five years, you should have gotten an email with a link to download all of the applications for free. In many cases, this email has been going to people's junk/spam mail folder, so check that folder for an email titled "Thanks for your support: upgrade to the new Nik Collection by Google" which probably arrived on March 25th. If you didn't get the email, send an email to Nik Support.

Favor request: If you used the "MU-43" coupon code successfully and have a minute to spare, please click here and give us a thumbs up rating. It will help us rank higher so more people use our coupon.* Thanks in advance!

*Someone else listed a "mu-73" (looks like "mu-43" if you're not paying attention) coupon, I guess to divert attention from our coupon :(.
  2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Or get them all for free if you have bought any of them previously!
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I seriously have to stop visiting this forum, it's costing me too much money to acquire the 'deals' :biggrin:.

I've never used the Nik software, but have downloaded the 15 day trial and will try to get some time on Wednesday to tinker with it. I'm hoping I don't like it, I can save $126.65...

4. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Thanks, just ordered it! :smile:

Downloading is taking forever though..
  5. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how exactly do these work within Aperture? Does it open a new program or is just like adding additional sliders or another corrections pane? Does it still store the edits within Aperture while preserving the original?

I keep hearing about this software, but I am a bit afraid of adding more to post-processing for fear that it will take me even longer to edit and post photos...
  6. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Want to know this as well!
  7. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    This is an awesome deal from NIK and this forum.

I'm sure the b&w photos will be very nice!
  8. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    It's an external plugin, not adjustments. Aperture passes the image to the app and then you work in the app and either save or cancel and go back to Aperture.
  9. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    This, but with clarification.

When you open it in a Nik app it creates a copy of the file so it doesn't touch the original.
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does it work the same for Lightroom?
  11. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Yes, Lightroom gives you multiple options, you can create a copy from the original, create a copy with the lightroom adjustments etc.

12. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    In LR it creates an additional TIF copy of your file with all the adjustments. The edits on the TIF in the plugin are permanents but you still have the original file in LR.
  13. ZDP-189

ZDP-189 New to Mu-43

May 2, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Less than 24 hours ago, I had a shopping cart filled with $500 worth of NIK plugins (Viveza 2, Silver Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4). Thanks to Amin's code I paid $126.65! Way to go!! Many thanks. Sometimes it pays to sleep on it.
  14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have been using the suite through Lightroom. Does anybody know if I can use them as plug ins through PS Elements while retaining non-destructive editing, or is that a feature that requires the full version of Photoshop?
  15. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I received the e-mail for downloading the file, but neither of my 3 computers are able to open the file. I have sent a e-mail out to see if I can get some assistance with it. Since I have completely all of the Nik software, I really do not need to get their latest versions, but I want to make sure that I will be in the loop just in case they start upgrading Nik software in the future and I may wish to upgrade it at that time.
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I had no problems installing the new versions on either Mac - Photoshop and LR versions.

The plugins act differently in LR/Aperture and PhotoShop. For LR, you open a copy of the file in the plugin, basically exporting it. You do destructive editing and save the result. The full photoshop versions are actually much 'better' because you can save adjustments to layers and the Nik suite is integrated more solidly/visibly

I strongly recommend you go to the Nik website and watch a few of the tutorial videos, including tips on order of workflow (i.e. when to use DFine, and so on, if you're using it). Watching what people can do with control points is easier than fiddling around and learning by yourself. The control point concept is really extremely powerful and makes fine-tuning local areas of an image so much simpler - no more screwing around with masks and brushes, simply select the item, set a radius, and adjust sliders. What gets selected depends strongly on what the control point is centered on and some clever algorithms, and there are interesting display methods that help visualse what parts of the image will and will not be affected by various control points.
  17. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    It seems that someone at google forgot to add the .exe at the end of the file for the Windows version. Just add it yourself (using the rename function) and it will run just fine.

18. jchercon

jchercon Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2012
    Barcelona, Spain
    I've just download and install the Nik software collection on my Mac with no problems.
    Thank you for the information and the saving coupon!
  19. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    After you save it in the Nik app and return to Aperture, do the changes show in the preview/browser for Aperture? Or do you need to import this new edited copy (resulting in two different images in the project)?
  20. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I have previously bought the full suite of plugins back in 2010 and recently purchased HDR Efx 2 and SEP2. How do I get the update versions of all the plugins for free?