Nik Silver Efex Pro

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I've been using this program for about a year. It's great and very intuitive.
I Just bought the Ebook on CD and it includes very nice vids. I learned more about this converter with the book in a few hours then the entire years using it.

This is not a plug but a recommendation to those using the program.

THANKS BB FOR CATCHING MY SPELLING MISTAKE...

Otto

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for mentioning that ebook as I had been thinking about it, but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. I've bought some in the past only to find they were just a rehash of the manual. I may have to pop for this one if it's that good.

Good shooting,
Otto...

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
There are things the the book explains like,
The control points. It explains how to copy a CP and use it in different areas. Then adjust all the same or separate.
New to me, also using CP to protect areas under the original CP.
The Zone Map is explained about using it with the Tone Curve.
Anyway, I learned a lot and have used the program for a year.....
Worth the money!

There is a $5.00 USD discount code on the Nik Site home page.

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks Don & Lisa. I will order today. I've been using it and stumbling along for a few months, and this should help with the learning curve. Now if they would just finish the updates to 64 bit.

Question, are you using Aperture 3 in 32bit mode and just switching to 64bit when needed or are you using A3 in 32bit from the start?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
John,
I use SEP sometimes in LR3 and sometimes go into PS4.
I like to try to use it on LR3 because I can continue to work on the image there. If I go into PS, then save the image, I can't work on that original in LR.
He explained the workflow.

What I found interesting was about sharpening.
I always used some sharpening in LR or PS before going into SEP. He explained why that's wrong. Even with Nik Raw Sharpener, it's better to sharpen after SEP.

Cool book ....
Lisa, my shipping was a few bucks and got it in 3 days from ordering.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
And another thing.....
If I sound like an unlearnt kid, well Reckon I am.....

The Zone System with the Tone scale. It's the coolest thing. I didn't know that if you click on Zone 0 for example, then slide the tone scale to move the tone of the darkest part of the image you want dead black, then click on Zone 10 and do the lightest part that it would lock in the Zone scales.
Then hit the middle of the tone chart and move it up/down to set your Zone 5.

Of course Ansel is rolling over in his grave but I'm in heaven.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Silver Effex 32 bit mode (currently needed) with Aperture 3

Question, are you using Aperture 3 in 32bit mode and just switching to 64bit when needed or are you using A3 in 32bit from the start?

I am pretty sure most people switch to the 32 bit mode when they chose to use Silver Effex. I believe it's discussed somewhere in the Aperture threads. I know Tom AKA thearne3 uses it, or I think he does. Maybe later on I'll see what I can find.

I've been on the cusp of ordering this for a while. I may just do it, too.:biggrin:

Jamus

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter Jamus
Bloody awesome B&W program... I absolutely recommend it.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
Why does it have to be shipped on a CD? It should be available for downloading. Ridiculous that OS buyers would have to wait so long for an electronic guide, not to mention the waste of resources and packaging involved.

I know its minor and I'm ranting, but this type of mindless stupidity and waste always annoys me. I do like SFEX though.

Gordon

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Streetshooter,

Thanks for your post. I too love this application, and the ebook sounds like it will be a great help.

I have made great use of the videos on Nik's site, and have been very deliberate in recent weeks in pushing the software, or rather my skills in it's use, to new places.

One of the things I like about the newer apps such as LR is the ability to create many copies of an image for little space. This allows a lot of experimentation and comparison.

I'll order the ebook tonight.

Thanks again.

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Streetshooter et alia : what exactly do you find in Silver Efex that isn't already in LR ? Looking at it, I see two things :
- the control points, but LR's brushes seem to provide the same function, with even more controls
- the Tone curve linked to Zones, closer to the Zone system and providing more points than those in LR
Am I missing something ?

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've used this and I like it - I downloaded the free trial and then proceeded to buy it

Guess what - although it is a "download" us Europeans have to pay 40% more than you lot in the US - Nik control this by having a separate (order form) page for the EU, including the UK, and not allowing any EU address on the order form that has the prices in US $ - i.e us European cannot use the US order form - it's OK if you are from many other countries in the world - you get the US price - but not the EU - it seems to be the usual software rip off

US price = $199,95
EU/UK price = Euros 199,95 = US$ 280

I'll give it a miss for now and look elsewhere - or I can wait until I am next free from the clutches of the EU bureaucrats

Jamus

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter Jamus
Streetshooter et alia : what exactly do you find in Silver Efex that isn't already in LR ? Looking at it, I see two things :
- the control points, but LR's brushes seem to provide the same function, with even more controls
- the Tone curve linked to Zones, closer to the Zone system and providing more points than those in LR
Am I missing something ?

There is much... much more control. The presets are really great too, they help give you quick previews of where you should go with your conversion:
Fig_3A_presets.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fig_3B_Presets.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

^how awesome is that?

Lightroom brushes are OK, but again, I still don't think they offer the same amount of range and control.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I downloaded the trial some time ago and couldn't quite get a handle on it, so didn't follow up. A week ago I downloaded the latest version to give it another try, but because I'd already used up the 15 days on the earlier version, I couldn't try it out again. I really hate these time limited trials, as often there can be many reasons why you can't fully try things out in the time supplied. If Qimage had been time limited, I don't think I would ever have bought it, but after about the fourth go, it finally clicked and I've been a happy camper ever since.

Because of the time limit with Silver Efex, I went searching elsewhere and found a plug in that works with LR3 and seems to do a pretty good job and with lots of controls (B&W Styler from www.ThePluginSite.com). It reads ORF files and I got the version that's both standalone and plugin.

Cheers

Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom