Nik Silver Efex or OnOne Perfect B&W?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by woody112704, Feb 12, 2013.

1. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Was wondering if anyone has tried out both programs and what they think between the 2. I've see some of the people on here do some amazing B&W with Silver Efex, but damn that program is expensive where I could get OnOne's for $30 for the standalone editor or $100 for the LR4 plugin where the Nik is $200. But if I went that route I think I'd probably spend the extra $100 and get Nik's Complete Collection.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the differences between the 2 programs.

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have fiddled with B&W conversion software/evaluation copies but have done nothing serious, so I am interested in this thread. For my infrequent needs, the Nik product is too expensive.

1) You don't mention Topaz B&W Effects. That is the one I was looking at. I did not know about OnOne. Do you think the OnOne product is better or ??

2)FYI, I just got an email this morning that Topaz has Version II coming out, preview webinars on Friday. I don't know if that makes any difference in yours or my search but I'll probably check it out.

TIA for any guidance.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I really like what you can do with Nik, but I've never been able to work with OnOne - it doesn't like the hardware on my computer and refuses to open.

4. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I like Topaz B&W Effects myself.

5. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    I'm still fairly new into photography so I don't know all of the programs yet. After you mentioned it I checked it out, it does seem pretty neat and definitely much cheaper than the NIK. I may have to d/l the free versions to test them out see which one I like the best. I'd still love to know what the more experienced B&Wers think on these 3 products.

6. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    You need to compare apples to apples
    OnOnes $30 program is a stand alone program
    OnOnes complete program is stand alone with plugins for PS, aperture and Lightroom is $100
    Nik softwares Silver effects pro is stand alone with plugins for PS, aperture and Lightroom is $200
    They are both the same in basic integration
    If you are looking for integration into your work flow, Both programs serve the same function

If you are looking for stand alone program only, then OnOne for $30 may work for you

I use Nik Software

7. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Got the NIK academic pricing.. Certainly you know someone with a school ID!

8. jpmac55

jpmac55 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 3, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    I never owned OnOnes but sounds like a reasonable price to try it.

I have had the Nik SW for several years and never really considered any other post processing options. Simple to install, intuitive to use and often turns a boring shot into something interesting. Two big thumbs up from me.

9. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Have you tried using Lightroom's B&W conversion? I have Nix Silver and Lightroom, and often use the Lightroom conversions. A little tweaking from the presets, and I get very good results. I've noticed that the Nix effects can be a little heavy when printed, and I have to be very careful that my printer is recently profiled or I can get color casts that are not in my monitor preview. I'm not sure if you are going to print or focused on online work.

A friend who does a lot of portrait/people work and uses Costco for inexpensive prints prefers the Lightroom conversions. Again, I think it depends on what you are tring to accomplish.

Another consideration in print is using the (inkjet) printers driver to create your b&W mix. HP and Canon offer this on some of their printers. I have gotten great results by creating a greyscale image and warming or cooling it at the printer level. So many choices!

I'm not going to get into the Bowhaus B&W rip. That's a real can of worms.

10. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Nik Silver Efex or OnOne Perfect B&W?

And they just announced a new version 2. I have all three and prefer either using Aperture conversion or Topaz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Re: Nik Silver Efex or OnOne Perfect B&W?

+1 and looking forward to the upcoming version 2 release.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I prefer Silverfx, than Topaz, didn't really like OnOne's. That said I demo'd and bought a while ago now. If you want cheap, there are some pretty decent PS actions availible if you have PS.

Now, some BIG caveats on Nik. The Complete package is really the best deal. It's also a pain to upgrade your status once you own the products and you only bought one plug in. It will involve calling customer service, although they are generally happy to sell you more stuff, it's just a pain to call customer service, where as Topaz which has an upgrade path built in to their web store. Second if you have a CS level photoshop program (not sure about elements), the Nik Ultimate Complete Collection (umm.. $499, I bought the complete and upgraded it to ultimate later) is just awesome. It opens the plug ins as smart filters so you can go back and tweak viveza after you tweaking color fx, you can set up pre-set brushes within the nik plug in window (essentially Nik PS actions) for all the programs, , and combine the U points with PS brushes for absolute precision of your applictions of their plug ins.

13. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Yea I thought about it, I think for the time being while I'm still really learning photography OnOnes or topaz is a good choice till I start getting better. But I think eventually I will get the Nik's Complete Collection, because I also want their HDR program and that's like another $100. So if you were to only get the Silver Efex and HDR that would be the price of the Complete Collection.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I just sat through Topaz' webinar "Sneak Peek" at Version 2. Not being experience with V1 I really can't appreciate the differences. One surprise to me was that there is apparently no histogram display. I'm not sure how you make sure you aren't accidentally hitting 0 or 255.

V2 is a free upgrade for V1 owners. They also said that V2 was expected to be released next week and there would be "aggressive" introductory pricing. I"m planning to buy V2 and we'll see how it goes.

15. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I've used NIK for a couple of years and love it. Very easy to use and versatile. Great presets with infinite tweaks. Results look like film to me. I have checked out Topaz but have never gone as far as doing the free trial because everything on their website looks like overblown hdr to me. I suspect in actual use your images do not have to go that far with Topaz but it just turns me off that that is what they seem to be pushing .