Nik is Back

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Jun 6, 2018.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    From reading the comments on DPR, many people are confused by the "stability" updates.

Does anyone have issues with the stability or compatibility of the Nik collection with LR or PS?

3. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I bought the plugins many years ago, think it wound up costing me $400-500 all told. The plugins were gradually becoming less and less compatible with updated OS. I see complaints it should still be free, no big improvements (-except it seems to actually work properly on the new OS), etc etc. If you find these plugins useful, I don't think $50 is out of order to support ongoing development. The idea that things should be "free" is strange and seems to be an internet paradigm, and we saw what Google did after making the Nik suite "free". I think several of the plugins are very useful, and will upgrade with the hope that we will see continuing improvements; if not, this will not cause the end of the world (hopefully that will wait for other causes:).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    SilverEfex has suddenly closed on me a couple times, standalone with png files on Windows 8.1 with 16GB RAM.

6. I use it a lot and have never encountered any problems. Mine's from 2013 version 1.0.0.7 and I've never updated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm using the free one from Google, which seems to have 2 version #'s:
    upload_2018-6-8_11-19-37.

8. Ossiva

Ossiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    College Station, TX
    Is it possible to still install the old (free) version of the software (assuming it's still compatible with your system)? I have all the plug-ins and love them. And was planning to install them on another computer...

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If you have the installer, then yes.
    Looks like there are still some sites hosting it (Google 'nikcollection-full-1.2.11.exe')... to make sure it hasn't been altered or infected, you can run a SHA checksum; the one I downloaded in 3/2016 has this SHA256 sum:
    8b81b05531a4110f90025d99002e3a59078b39ab4c06747bb7e4e7be5d94fb6d *nikcollection-full-1.2.11.exe

10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Is the free version working effectively for you? It was at about 80% for me. So you'll have to decide whether it's worth it to you sticking with that as the new version doesn't offer anything new to what the free version did. It's that introductory price that roped me in.

11. pondball

pondball Mu-43 All-Pro

So they are now charging for software that has had virtually no updates???

From what I could see on their website the only real update is that they are claiming full functionality with LR, PS and PSe... none of which I use.

Am I missing something here? I was thinking of buying into this although almost the entire free collection works fine as an Edit In from Exposure... not sure the introductory tease is worth it in my case.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ossiva

Ossiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    College Station, TX

I saved a copy when google was hosting it. I was suspicious about them letting it sit there for so long without updates, so I grabbed a copy.

I was really hoping that Google was going to opensource the Nik Collection. It's not like they need the money. Their profits are so large, management nor even their shareholders would have noticed.

13. I mostly use Nik Silver FX. It has been flawless with my LR CC. My LR CC will crash if my dog farts in the next room. Very unimpressed with my latest version of LRCC ( the latest, always up to date) Win 10 and all that other crap and also up to date.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. m43happy

Feb 18, 2012
    I'm currently running Silver Efex 2 v2.2.24.10 (v1.2.11). This is the issue I'm running into. When I just apply the default filters on the left everything is fine. But as soon as I make changes like add a green filter, I get a loss of pixels (circled). So weird.

Attached Files:

15. Ossiva

Ossiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    College Station, TX
    Oh wow. That is bad.

Questions: How old is your computer and have you made any aftermarket modifications to it?

I'm currently running Nik as plugins to Corel PSP 2018 and they all work flawlessly (Windows 10 and current gen i7 with more RAM then I will ever need).

However, I feel the sudden urge to go re-examine some photos now...

16. m43happy

Feb 18, 2012
    2017 13" Macbook pro fully spec'd out. I can't mod it. lol Running Adobe PS CC 19.1.4 (2018).

17. Ossiva

Ossiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    College Station, TX
    Yeah, no hardware issues there, haha.

If you decide to pull the trigger on buying Nik 2018, let us know if that fixes all of your issues. I'm not having problems yet, but you could help a lot of people on making their purchase decision.

18. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Here is a review by Robin Walley- the last 2 minutes summarize why he did the upgrade. It may not be a big value right now, but if we want it to have a future, I still think it is worth giving DxO a shot at showing what they can do. It's not like roads and other infrastructure, where the tooth fairy pays for such things and we don't have to.

19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I'm not sure (after reading that site) what's actually new ... I mean functionality ... mine even works on Irfanview as it copes with and runs Adobe 8BF filters

20. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    i understood it to be basically recompile for 64bit OSs. But things like scaling on high dpi monitors have not been addressed. Personally, i think $50 is reasonable to facilitate further development of these tools, which was not happening when it was free.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.