Nik is back

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by robbie36, Oct 29, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Nik Software are back - well, of course, they never went away. But I guess we were worried.

Theoretically they have updated the whole suite but I dont actually notice anything on the basic plugins.

More excitingly, there is a new plugin - Analog Efex Pro. This is a 'retro' camera plugin - sort of like Alien Exposure from what I remember. As usual from Nik, it is a very slick implementation.

Your existing software should update automatically. If you want to upload it straight away, just go to Nik Software, download the trial and it will install a full version over your existing software.

• Like Like x 8
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the heads-up, Rob. Going to update the suite right now. It will be fun to check out analog efex pro as well!

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm feeling kind of cynical about this one. Seems like a way to make instagram like filters for G+. I feel like I've been using using Nik les and less, since CC. The color range and refine edge tools have been updated to a point where it doesn't make as much sense to move to Nik which hasn't moved much at all lately. I realize they've been working their genious little butts off getting the google picture editing services up to speed. They did a good job there, just not what I'm interested in.

4. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    since you mentioned this I went to cc and now don't see NIK
    listed at all.......

5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Was that 1.104 for the version number? I used an old link from an email I got in April of this year... wonder if it still works

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes using your old link from the download they gave you last March will work to update the software - the new version is 1.104

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Is it listed under filters?

I am using the new version within CC.

8. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    The download/instal just finished. Works fine, I didn't even need a serial code. I have to say that it's nice of google to continue to release all of these upgrades and new products for free for prior purchasers of the collection pack.

9. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    robbie, upon first setting up cc I have had problems installing NIK.
    Finally, after trying some of the "tricks" I found on the internet they
    were installed. Surprise..... this morning they are no longer there.
    oh well... I'll give it some time....... ;-)

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well 2 likely possibilities are 1) that Nik installed into an older version of Adobe PS that you have on your computer - say CS6 and 2) that you are using a 64 bit version of CC and it installed on the 32 bit and vice versa. Something along these lines has happened with me on many plugins before. Generally speaking all you have to do is copy the files from the PS -> plugins folder that they are in to the one that you are using and then restart PS.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I was having all kinds of problems trying to install the new update to Nik Software today, but Google just made a automatic update to my software . I went to work with Nik Software and I found that they had updated it to their new version of analog Efex Pro.

12. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I really do not know how it happened but I received an automatic update from Google, I tried contacting them earlier in the day about my problem. I left the computer running while I was busy with something else and when I decided to work on some images, it was just there. I did find later on that they had sent me some e-mail after I had checked it earlier that had a download site on it.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or visit support.google.com/nikcollection to call our Customer Service Department Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST.

13. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    TBH, I'm not happy about how Google did this. This evening, I suddenly got this cryptic pop-up error message when trying to run Photoshop: "MSVCP110.dll is missing from your computer". I learned (on another photography forum) that this came from Google (See this).

Well I'd like the option of not installing an update on my own computer, if you don't mind. If the pop-up simply disabled the Nik/Google filters, fine. But it disabled Photoshop itself. I had trepidations over the news of the Nik/Google merger earlier this year. It seems to me that there's good reason to be concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    Glad it wasn't just me. I was going nuts trying to figure out what happened. Thanks for the heads-up. Guess I get to re-install :frown:

15. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    no wonder my NIK stuff disappeared!!! Gladly I can still run Photoshop (for now)

16. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I like it. I was playing with it yesterday - it's basically like Instagram on steroids, but for your desktop computer. The presets look quite good, and just like the other apps in the suite, it gives you quite extensive control over pretty much all the aspects of the "retro" processing. Whereas Instagram is mostly just a 'click, post and forget' sort of deal, there's a lot of customization possible in this app. I was messing around in it yesterday, just to see what I could see, and before I knew it a couple of hours had passed.

Pretty fun stuff.

Original:
    5nuF0XO.

One of the "wet plate" presets:
    eOkqnSq.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Eh....

Don't get me wrong: I flippin' LOVE NIK for LR. Used it all the time.

But I just can't get excited about analog film effects, having learning everything I know about photography in the era of digital shooting. The looks that it represents (to me, in any case) are just what I don't want my shots to have.

18. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    And there's nothing wrong with that...

Personally I would never use any of these for my paid work - as they don't represent the vision of my product and personal style that I am and have been building up over the years. For me it's fun - plain and simple. It's why I use lo-fi lenses and occasionally shoot analog cameras - to break the monotony. To play.

19. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    My dad ran into a similar computer on his, which was a pain for him since he uses PP for some of his work. Luckily I had told him to be on the lookout for the new Nik update, so he was able to connect the two. He ended up emailing Google and they sent him a new installation file that fixed the problem.

LR doesn't seem to be affected, though trying to use Nik in it will display the same message.

20. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    How do you know which version of NIK you have? I have NIK installed with LR 5.2. Also If there a way to get it to do a manual update or do I need to download the whole installer again?
    Thanks.

[UPDATE]
    I updated NIK by reinstalling a new trial version. Working well.