1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NIK HDR vs Photomatix

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Uwharrie, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Have been playing with Photomatix and will download NIK HDR trial to try but would love imput from those that have used them..

2. curtisls87

curtisls87 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2010
    Los Gatos, CA, USA
    Curt Schimmels
    I'd also be interested in hearing what others have to say on this topic. I have several NIK products, and have been thinking of picking up HDR Pro, but haven't pulled the trigger on it, yet.

3. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I have used Photomatix Pro in standalone mode for about a year or so. It's capable, and fun. Using images from a Canon A530, also a Canon A590, both with CHDK firmware to enable bracketing exposure, I've crafted images that draw very positive comments, and I recently sold a print of one of them. Not mu-43, so I haven't posted anything about them. My new/old GF1 is now my hybrid P&S/DSLR.

4. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I've tried both, but I keep coming back to Photomatix.

I like the finer controls of NIK HDR, but the overall results from Photomatix are always more to my liking.

both are very good products.

5. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I like Photomatix, esp. the changes in the latest version.

If you use Lightroom and have CS6, it looks like the HDR function in CS6 plus the new capabilities in LR 4.1 might be an alternative without needing to buy yet another program. I just saw a very positive post today about this on Digital Outback Photo.

6. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    There's no right or wrong answer, but I like Nik better. I tried the trial version of Photomatix, but was able to get what looked more realistic to me from Nik. Plus I'm used to the other Nik products. You can get more extreme if you like, but some of the realistic presets are pretty good. Of course you can save your own if you like.

7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I've used both and find NIK much easier to achieve correct results.
    The default preset very often needs little extra adjustments if you got your bracketing right !

And the possibility to adjust the alignment and ghosting parameters is really useful when shooting scenes with people in it.

I'm only using NIK nowadays

C U
    Rafael

8. curtisls87

curtisls87 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2010
    Los Gatos, CA, USA
    Curt Schimmels
    Interesting results. My base take away is that both products work as advertised and it becomes more of a personal preference. Given that I'm used to NIK products, I'll probably checke their's out.

9. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Oloneo is well worth a try, 30 day free trial. Easy to use and get great results from a single .jpeg. :smile:

Have used all 3, but much prefer Oloneo.

• Like Like x 1