Nik HDR & Photoshop - File Type Issues

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by GnedTheGnome, Apr 6, 2016.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I'm wondering if any of you have had the following experience, and if you've come up with a solution?

I've been experimenting with the Nik software, and I've come axross an issue when using the HDR plugin with Photoshop. When I tried to make a copy of the image as a jpeg so I could upload it to Flickr, I found that photoshop only offered me 5 or 6 file types to save as: psd, tiff, and a few I had never heard of. I tried saving as a tiff, but Flickr balks and says the file is too big, even after I made the image about 1/3 the size of the original. The other file types, I think, are not compatible. I also tried exporting the file, but it just grinds and refuses to open the dialog box.

So, are Nik HDR images useless except for printing? Am I missing a step when I try to convert it? Is there a work around?
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Why go from PS, which is not a DAM, to a Nik app? I go from LR to any editing plugin (i.e. PS, Macphun, OnOne Photo 10...etc.) and back to LR Develop module. Then I can take the image to the another plugin as needed. When I am done using plugins, I export the final image as a jpeg or tif from LR where the master image and all the edited versions are safely stored in the catalog.
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You probably need to convert it to 16 bit and flatten the layers (or just do a save for web).
  4. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    When saving in Photoshop, it's necessary to have reduced the bit-depth to 8 bits to have jpg available as a file type. Go: Image/Mode/8 Bits/Channel. Don't forget to convert to sRGB, either. Go: Edit/Convert to profile... Resizing is done via: Image/Image Size...

That's the old way. More convenient is to use File/Export>Export As... The dialog will allow you to save as jpg, resize the file, convert to sRGB and specify whether you wish to pass through copyright and contact info.
  5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    It is true that Ps's "Save as..." dialog will filter out formats that don't support the current image's bit depth (8, 16, 32bpp, ...) or color space and that the "Save as..." dialog won't provide any bit depth or color space conversion. If you have a 16bpp or 32bpp image the dialog will not offer JPEG as JPEG only supports 8bpp color. It is also true that the "Save as..." dialog is rarely the best choice for saving JPEGs, or for that matter GIFs and PNGs.

When saving a JPEG for use on the web, I recommend NEVER using Ps's "Save" and "Save as..." options. You should use the "Save for Web and Devices..." option (exact menu name varies slightly between Ps versions). This is more of an "export" class service rather than a classic "save". It offers options for color space, color profile, image size, and metadata inclusion/exclusion along with some format specific controls. You will find that the vast majority of the time this is the best way to save/export a JPEG, GIF, or PNG from Ps. Also, Ps's "Save" and "Save as..." options are classic "save" functions that attempt to retain all editing attributes, even things, like Guides, that are Ps specific and of no value for any other importer or renderer. The "Save for Web and Devices..." is more of a classic "export" service that strips out those attributes that are Ps specific, things added to the file as ancillary data making them larger than necessary. By omitting this Ps specific ancillary data the "Save for Web and Devices..." dialog generates smaller files for the same image at the same quality level. With small images the difference can be significant, with a reduction to 1/2 or 1/4 the size that that produced by the "Save"/"Save as..." dialogs.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for your advice, everybody. I will give it a go when I get back to my computer this evening.
  7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Very useful advice for most people on this forum, thanks.
    • Agree Agree x 1