1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NIK HDR Efex Pro & Viveza2 questions???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by noelh, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Viveza2 problem. Started playing around with this program. More times than not it freezes up. Cannot save or cancel the changes made. Cannot exit out of it or Aperature3. Forced quit required. All changes lost. Have yet to uninstall & reload. Any other suggestions before I contact NIK? Hardware is iMac 10.6.7 with 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 & 8GB of SDRAM.

HDR Efex Pro. For this specific HDR program at what EV bracket ranges do you normally shoot at & how many images for: 1. High contrast bright sunlight conditions; 2. High contrast night scenes; 3. High contrast, but softer lighted conditions (eg. the "magic hour).
    Final image desired is something closer to what the human eye visualizes. Not some over the top HDR effects image.

New & inexperienced to the world of post image processing. A3 & Nik is definitely much nicer (except when V2 freezes) than iPhoto and PSE3.

2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Noel,

New iMac Noel right?

Quit all of your apps. Run repair permissions.

Try Viveza.

Still freezes.......

Uninstall.

The software is loaded as a plugin for Aperture in this directory:
    /Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plugins

delete the Nik directory to uninstall the software

QUIT ALL APPLICATIONS

Then reinstall the Viveza Plugin.

Really, that should do it.

Interested to see what happens after that.

3. Alan, thanks for your help. Will give it a try & see what happens.

4. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    I also have a question if you don't mind, I have the Nik suite which of course includes Viveza 2. I am wondering why one would use Viveza 2. I have tried it but don't understand why I would use it instead of Aperture 3. I just don't understand how it really differs.

5. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Because it makes things easy

I am also an Aperture 3 user and have the Nik suite. I never really 'got' the first version of Viveza, but now with a bit more experience I really like what you can achieve with Viveza 2 (it's also a more complete application). I am sure that a real pro with Aperture could achieve pretty similar results with multiple brushed adjustments. However, I just find Viveza easier. I don't use it on every image, but it can produce cracking results. Apart from using the excellent structure slider, you can target adjustments on specific colours and regions. The result (if you get it right) is an image with slightly more 'depth'. It's a bit like dodging and burning in colour. I combine this with the Pro Contrast and Tonal Contrast filters in the ColorEfex Pro plug in. The result can be a transformed photograph. Amazing results on Panasonic jpegs, for example, where this seems to deal with the colour cast problem. And it's quick and easy. I am a real fan of Niksoft's software - good results without excessive effort.

Another advantage - the same plugin can work in A3 and LR3 if you run both applications.

Andrew

6. Alan, ran repair permissions. A few items came up. Not sure what iMac was trying to tell me. So far, V2 is functioning as it should. Thanks.

7. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    If you have crash logs, I'd suggest sending them to Nik and see what they have to offer help-wise. It may be a specific configuration of your machine.

BTW, I found that the larger files I processed with Nik or BorderFX would sometimes hang, so I tend to create a new, re-sized version first.

8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Noel,

deirdre's suggestion of capturing the crash log is a good one also.

I suggested the simplest fix based on recent experience. I've found some of the machines I've received with 10.6.7 could not access the mail database etc. after initial setup. It was related to user permissions not being fully propagated, in essence locking the logged in user away from some services in their home folder.

I neglected to ask if the new Mac was set up using the migration assistant? Did you transfer one of the user profiles from your old machine?

In any event I'm glad it calmed down for you...

Alan

9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi IIGQ,

I'd suggest you take a quick look at this video and some other tutorials (free) rather than read through, what may become, some long winded explanations.

Nik Software, Inc. | Viveza 2

I hope it'll help you understand the convenience of using the software.

Cheers, Alan

10. klarue

klarue New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2011
    San Diego
    Great input everyone - nothing much I can add from the Nik perspective. Glad things are working now, Noel. Alan - thanks so much for jumping in! @maczero - thanks for being a fan!

We've been running around here like "mad-men" with the launch of our iPad app, Snapseed, so we appreciate the community stepping in.

Please know that you can also always contact us for support (EU=serviceeu@niksoftware.com;US=www.niksoftware.com/supportrequest). Best, Kevin (from Nik)