1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nik DFin workflow

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Empireme, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I purchased the Nik Software just last night and I was wondering about something.

Do I first edit my pictures in LR3 including noise reduction, then send it to Dfine? Or do I first edit in LR3 without noise reduction and then send it to Dfine?

Or do I first do the noise reduction in Dfine and then do my post processing in LR3?

Better yet, before I make multiple posts...

What's the order of workflow that's recommended including the other Nik plugins (not including HDR at this point.)

Thanks!

2. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I do all of my initial processing in RAW, except I turn off sharpening and noise reduction in LR, and then go into photoshop with a 16bit tiff, and first run dfine, then use the smart sharpen tool in photoshop as the last step in photoshop. Any other Nik filters get applied before sharpening. Once I'm done, I save the tiff, and it's automatically imported in LR, where I export out to jpg if I need it.

3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I've read that if you've got an image that needs noise reduction, it's best to do it early in the workflow before getting into other adjustments. I usually only adjust white balance and overall exposure before exporting to Dfine. It comes back in as a TIFF that I proceed to edit as normal. (I work in Aperture, if that matters).

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    When to use noise reduction is an interesting question.
    Usually when processing an image we reveal the noise embedded in the image. The question we should ask is it better to remove the noise before processing or after.
    The advantage of first NR (Noise reduction) is that when processed we have less noise to reveal, the advantage of NR at the end is that we process only if we reveal noise.
    I prefer to first process and then perform NR a lite if needed, this way I get sharper images at the end processing.