1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Night time!

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by saeveritt, Jun 13, 2010.

1. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still trying to get my techniques down. I'm not sure if what I am doing is correct or not! These were taken a few hours ago. Comments would be lovely!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Goodmorning ! Great night shots. My fav is number one. Which settings did you use ?
    Enjoy your weekend.

3. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Lets see, for the first one I used a 1 second shutter speed, 3.5 F-stop, and 100 ISO if I can remember correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You seem to have a grasp on things. I'd say your on your way.....
    The thing is , is to devote time, no pun intended, to doing this. If you do night work just once in a while, you'll miss the learning curve. You should really just go for it and give it the time to get that curve and your vision on the same track.....

Check out Peter's work....he does really nice low light work.....
    pay attention to the details he's able to extract....

your on the right track......shooter

5. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Nice tree picture!!!

6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Good stuff. The tent was for 5s and the tree for 4s and both were at ISO100 for f/3.5.

If time is an issue, I would shoot at ISO200. The difference in noise is negligible. I shoot at ISO100 to get 20s and longer exposures for pre-dawn seascapes but if I don't need to deliberately invoke motion blur will leave the camera at its native resolution of ISO200.

From a composition perspective, in the second image you could crop out at least half the grass and around 1/3rd to one half the sky.

I would also shoot longer and probably at f/5.6 to f/7.1 to get a crisper image and more depth of field (not that it is really an issue here).

Overall, the image could be just a little brighter but you will have problems with that bright light blowing out.

Keep them coming. Maybe a series on brightly lit tents at night :biggrin:

Cheers

PeterB666

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.