Night/sky/Moon/Star shot

kevinaldo

Mu-43 Regular
I am trying to take photographs on moon with stars, what setting/ISO/aperture/len/hardware do you use?

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
I am trying to take photographs on moon with stars, what setting/ISO/aperture/len/hardware do you use?

Use low ISO and a tripod at a place without city lights at shutter speed of a least 1/2 a minute. If you do not get the effect you want increase the shutter time.
All the lenses you have can give you nice results.
For a detailed moon shoot you need a long tele.

woody112704

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jared
Use low ISO and a tripod at a place without city lights at shutter speed of a least 1/2 a minute. If you do not get the effect you want increase the shutter time.
All the lenses you have can give you nice results.
For a detailed moon shoot you need a long tele.

If you shoot somewhere where some light is in the shot (faint) like to the side it can produce some very nice effects. Look at Dukebnukem's shots. His are absolutely amazing.

arad85

Mu-43 Veteran
You will get star trails if you go for longer than 30 seconds. They will be worse pointing towards the equator (and short pointing towards either pole). The effect is minimised the shorter the lens though. Low as you can get away with on ISO, as large an aperture as possible (primes are great for this - 25mm or shorter will give you some nice effects of the sky).

Deep sky (anything beyond what you can make out with your eye) really needs a tracking German Equatorial Mount. Decent ones start at £several hundred....

The moon just needs telephoto (as elavon has said) and a fairly fast shutter speed. You will need to set the exposure manually though (last time I did it I had a DSLR attached to a telescope and was using F8-10 and a shutter speed of 1/250th or faster from memory) - auto exposure will not be able to cope with the extremes of light/dark.

Latest threads

Top Bottom