1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Night Shots - C&C please!

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Stephen Geis, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Attached are three shots I took Tuesday morning (GF1 and Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 lens). The first and third have minimal pp (focal B&W) and soft focus both centered on the center of the track on the horizon. The middle shot has no pp.

Which shot do you think works best? Any recomendations as to how to change the other images to make them better?

P1060380.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1060377.JPG

P1060376.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

2. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    To my eye the composition of the first is best. It's a pretty good shot but I think it could be improved by straightening the horizon, and dropping the soft focus effect. The middle shot is too centered and the last one just feels off balance. If you can go back and get the blurred lights of the train as it approaches or departs that would add a great deal of interest to this scene. Perhaps that isn't safe to do, I can't tell from the photo. One other hint: try taking this shot about 30 minutes after sunset or 30 min prior to sunrise. That way you'll get just a hint of blue color in the sky. You'll be amazed at what a difference that can make. One example:

456132257_PGZRb-M.jpg

Regards,
    Gordon

3. Newnan3

Newnan3 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2010
    They all look sorta crooked......

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The middle shot by a long margin.

It is hard to find anything in focus in the first shot and the blurry bit on the left in the 3rd shot is not balanced by an equally blurry bit on the right.

While the 2nd shot is the best, it could do with a little noise reduction and sharpening to enhance a bit of crispness and give it a punch. You need to level the shot by lining up the tops of the two platform awnings.

Well done.

Cheers

PeterB666

5. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    The first shot has an ephemeral quality to it, the scene floating in black space. I straightened it out, cropped it, and decided its power lay entirely in the image riding those rails and being suspended in surrounding blackness... so dumped the crop immediately. The star effect on the lights enhances the space-station effect.... nice!

I used to love shooting at night, and you've inspired me to get back into it.

Bokeh Diem

6. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    I think the middle shot is in the right angle, the lighting enhances of the station and peace full effect is so nice!

7. srinivasbobbili

srinivasbobbili New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2010
    Hyderabad, India
    I like the middle one, clear perspective while maintaining the pictorial balance

8. mmzymxf

mmzymxf New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    I like the middle one too. But you may want to rotate it a bit CCW

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.