Night shooting with 17mm kit lens -- Settings??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pdh, Oct 2, 2010.

1. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Thought I might go to our local carnival street-procession tonight and take some pics. Haven't tried this sort of thing before.

The fastest wide-ish lens I have to put on my E-P2 is the 17mm f/2.8 pancake

(I have a Hexanon f/1.4 57mm but it's a bit long for this sort of event I guess)

SO, I'm planning on leaving it in aperture mode at f/2.8, thought l'd push up the ISO to 800 or 1000, and hope there's going to be enough light from the multi-kilowatt floats to make things worthwhile. I was going to leave WB in auto and either adjust in PP or convert to B&W

Any thoughts from the street-merchants who might be watching the forum about what might be better? and for in-camera settings for noise reduction, noise filter and so on?

thanks in advance

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Make sure the IS, Image Stabilizer is on Auto...
    I often shot at even ISO 5000 for B&W but usually around 3200 or so...no issues in B&W.
    WB on Auto for sure....
    Noise Reduction set to OFF..shoot RAW....process later...

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    many thanks ... I'll report back later, maybe with some snaps (if it doesn't rain)

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Question for you.
    Are you using the optional finder. Not that EVF thing but the real finder?

5. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Here to report back ...
    First to answer your question: No.
    I have the EVF and wouldn't be without it for longer and MF lenses. Tonight I left it at home, turned the LCD off as well, and just relied on luck and the width of the lens.
    Interested to know what's behind the question.

Thanks for the tips, one problem was that at 6400 or even 1600 some of the lighting on the floats was too much for the DR of the camera. A good learning experience though ...
    • Clingfilm is a good substitute for a weatherproof case
    • You can just about operate the camera's controls when it's wrapped in clingfilm against the weather
    • You can also still very easily change by accident to MF so that you take many many photographs in which nothing is in focus.
    • Wouldn't it be great if Olympus had put a soft button in so you could lock all controls except the shutter release?
    • Don't hang around at the back or you'll end up with a lot of photographs of the back of people's heads (well, duh)
    • Nobody's watching you, so just take photographs

When I've sorted through the 100-odd I took I might post a couple

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    At this point, it's absolutely essential to post photos....
    Glad it's werkin' out fer ya...
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010

• Like Like x 2
  8. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Looks good so far...
    I forgot something.....
    Set your EV to -.3
    Leave it there all the time... Digicams benefit from this setting.
    I think you'll see the difference quickly....
    The other guys will challenge this setting but who cares...
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  9. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    that's interesting Don, I found a whole sequence of my own images (ages ago) that I took with -.3 set, and I preferred them in all sorts of ways. I've had it set back to 0 ever since, but I think I'll try it again.

10. xyzzy

xyzzy Mu-43 Regular

Hi - my 0.02$ to night settings - I normally use these settings
    IS=1; Exposure compensation=-0.3; Aperture Priority at 2.8 (I have the 17/2.8, saving for the 20/1.7); ISO=800 for colour or 3200 for B/W. Metering set to CWA; I use half-press of shutter to measure-and-hold if the subject is not in the center. I shoot in raw and see what I can do with it later. No chimping, I use the VF1 that came with my E-P1 or best guess (backlight off). Focus is set to Manual, with single AF on the AEL button. No lens reset. That way I can use the single AF to set the focus at the desired distance and have it remain there. Zoom/focus with your feet :)

Once I used manual mode with A=2.8 and Shutter=1/60 with ISO set to Auto (change settings in the menu to ISO Auto=All to enable this!) with quite good results. Exposure compensation is not possible with this setting! I will experiment more with that setting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    xy....
    Ya must be a streetshooter at heart.....

12. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Hello Don,
    Is the EV -.3 for night shooting or all the time? What is the advantage to locking in this setting?
    Thanks,
    John

13. johnny9fingers

Very nice pictures, they have an ethereal quality to them. Well done.

14. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    thank you ... more luck than judgment I expect, though I knew the horses would be something ... I so wish that the older gent in the flat cap was in focus, but I shot that one blind ... I really liked this one too, this is just the camera jpeg straightened, mono'd and the contrast pushed a bit on OV2 ... I feel a bit uncomfortable about posting this because it feels somewhat invasive ...

rztlt20101002_187.

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    In general, this keeps from blowing out white areas or highlights. Once a highlight is blown out, you can't get it back, no matter what. Yes, this will underexpose for shadows, but bringing shadows up is easy to do. I've found that -.3 works well for the PENs.

Dj

• Like Like x 1
  16. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks DJ,
    Much appreciate the response.
    Don

17. johnny9fingers

Thanks, I've set my E-PL1 to -.3 and will give it a try.
    Thanks...

18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Leave it there all the time, I think you'll see a marked improvement in your exposures across the board.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. xyzzy

xyzzy Mu-43 Regular

Thanks :smile: ... However, I need to be less in the office and more on the street to qualify as a real one as opposed to at heart ... OT: my favoured street shooting camera is still the Hexar AF ...

20. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Nah my friend.... It's a rare occasion that a shooter has all the time/money to be on the street....
    So, that makes the little time ya have more valuable...... Do what ya can and remember life always comes first....
    then make images of it when ya can....
    don