1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Night / low light photography with Olympus E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cofl1001, Dec 30, 2011.

1. cofl1001

cofl1001 New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2011
    Hello,
    I would appreciate some input from the one's that already got good results in night/low light photography with the E-PL2 camera. What modes you use, what openings, etc. I have the standard kit lens on mine, and on Iauto it automatically jumps to ISO 1600...
    Thanks
    Florian

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thats the camera's default settings and u can always go into the menu and change the Auto ISO limit to what ever u like . How ever it would be difficult to shoot with low ISO with ur kit lens handheld and u will need High iso
    U have these options to use
    1) BUt fast prime lens like Panny 20 mm1.7 or Olympus 45mm 1.8 for night /low light photography
    2) Use tripod and long exposure to use low ISO
    3) Learn to shoot in Aperture priority mode rather than just auto
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  3. nukl

nukl New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2011
    Austria
    Hi!
    Here are my rules:
    1) Use 20mm/1.7 or 45mm/1.8
    2) Use aperature priority and don't be afraid of long shutter speeds like 1/4
    3) Don't stick to typical ISO-settings. ISO 500 or ISO 1000 produces similar noise to ISO 400 or ISO 800.
    4) Use multi shot mode and shoot e.g. 10 pictures (at least one will be sharp)
    5) Use RAW! -> Use Olympus RAW-developement!
    5.1) Set gradiation to "normal" - (default is auto)
    5.2) Check white balance! If you observe blue noise in dark areas this is often an indication for a wrong white balance setting and vanishes when correcting WB.
    5.3) Switch noise reduction off.
    6) If necessary further reduce noise with Photoshop

Hope this helps,
    Nukl

• Like Like x 1
  4. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I have different opinion I think. I find minimal shutter speed for PEN bodies is too high. Even in Aperture mode, sometimes the shutter is still 1/100.

I usually use Shutter priority because I rarely use tripod. The minimal shutter depends on yourself ,try to change so the aperture opens wide an automatically the ISO is low and how firm can you hold the camera. For me, the lowest handheld is 1/10 with auto stabilitation auto. The object is still tack sharp.

• Like Like x 2
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Wouldn't it be great to be able to set both aperture and shutter speed, and let the camera choose ISO? Gotta think that feature will appear in some camera, if it hasn't already..

6. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Pentax has it on the K10d and (I assume) all the later cameras. I find it handy in varying light when I want a specific aperture. Just set my minimum shutter speed and let the ISO go where it will. The TAv and greater than 1 stop bracket increment are the only things I miss from my K10D

7. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    hmm..actually you can. Try P mode. and then try to change only on of ISO/Shutter/Aperture. The rest 2 , will automatically set.

Change the ISO, shutter and aperture will automatically set :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The reason cameras don't typically allow Auto ISO in Manual Mode is that it would effectively turn it into a version of Program Mode. For every change you'd make in Shutter Speed and Aperture the camera would be shifting the ISO to try to get back to a neutral exposure. Sort of defeats the purpose of having full manual control to be able to shift the exposure conditions around to suit the image you were trying to capture.

Probably the best way to implement the idea would be to have the ISO tied to a dial for exposure compensation. Once you manually set the shutter speed and aperture you could manually dial the ISO up or down to change the exposure level. On the PEN it would be as simple as giving you ISO as a third option in the Button/Dial Assignments menu for M mode.

You can back into this functionality by manually setting your Shutter Speed and Aperture, and then using the SCP to pull up the manual ISO settings screen. You can then scroll through the choices until you visually get the exposure level you're after.

9. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I just tried this on my E-PL2. Set to manual mode. Set the aperture and the shutter and the ISO floats. Then you can change the range that the ISO floats from and to. That seems to be doing everything you just asked. What am I missing here?

Dan

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just checked the menu settings and you're right if you have the ISO-Auto selected for All modes, and not just the default P/A/S.