Night at the Circus

Hi, in November I went with my family to a Circus act at a shopping mall here in Rio de Janeiro. Really liked the experience and wanted to share the shots I was able to get.

For a few years now animals are forbidden to be used in the Circus so the show was mostly clowns, trapeze artists and musical acts.

I took my GX7 paired with the Olympus 75mm 1.8 to keep the size small (vs the G85) but still be able to use the viewfinder as to not have the bright lcd screen light up (vs the GM1) - altought lots of people were using their phones to take pictures and videos all though the show.

Really liked the combination of camera + lens for the seats I had, bit of luck as I couldn't know the distances before.
Also had to shoot mostly one-handed because my daughter was on my lap, but as I kept the shutterspeeds high for the action it didn't affect the keepers that much.

Hope you'll enjoy

Link to full album on Flickr

Some of my favorites below:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Nice collection. In particular, 6 is excellent. 2, 7, and 8 are also really nice performance shots. I like 3 too but maybe with a crop? I really like the light and shadows and the relationship between the performer and the woman. I think you could accentuate that.

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
Rated as Winner . . . timing in pic #8 spot on!

75mm.... I would probably have taken the 50-200mm. Just shows you don't always need to longest zoom lens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice collection. In particular, 6 is excellent. 2, 7, and 8 are also really nice performance shots. I like 3 too but maybe with a crop? I really like the light and shadows and the relationship between the performer and the woman. I think you could accentuate that.
Thanks for the input. I'll try playing with cropping a bit.
There are other pictures of the same performance on the flickr album, really liked the lights at that moment, but reviewing after the upload I could have also straightened them a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rated as Winner . . . timing in pic #8 spot on!

75mm.... I would probably have taken the 50-200mm. Just shows you don't always need to longest zoom lens.
Thanks! #8 is one of my favorites also.
I took the 75 mostly because of the aperture. Next time on a similar event I might try the 45-175 - more flexibility at the cost of higher ISO.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Great Set!

I've always felt like I've won the lottery whenever I go to an event and I find I'm the perfect distance to use the 75 :D
Even if I get the Sigma 56 I'll never sell that lens just because of this sort of flexibility.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom