Nice review on GF1 w/20mm lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Frunch, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  2. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Of all the research I did before buying my Gf1, this article was the one that finally convinced me to get off the fence and make the purchase. A very informative, well written and enjoyable article.

3. Funnily enough I was just looking at this two days ago when I was deciding if I wanted to satisfy an old curiousity and finally purchase a used GF1. If I was to nominate one place that I have been where a m4/3 camera (and specifically a classic like the GF1) would have been the perfect piece of kit it would be Nepal. Absolutely the perfect place for the kind of gritty, photo-documentary style that these cameras do so well, and they would suit Kathmandu (one of the coolest cities on earth) down to the ground.

Only problem I found with the article was: 16 days in Nepal and only 10 photos? Come on, he's holding the best photos out on us, surely!

4. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    That article led me to get my own GF1 around this same time last year. So far, it's been a decision I haven't regretted and often show the same article to friends who are curious about m43 and often complain of their heavy DSLRs :)

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    thanks for sharing!

6. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

That review was reason I bought my GF1 :)

7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Ya, this was influential in my purchase too. No regrets.

8. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I've seen that review as well, I was going to let my wife to buy the Olympus EPL1 for me for Christmasand get the Panny 20/1.7 lens in the new year as my first serious digital camera. But I went into our local Panasonic store and they still had a brand new GF1 with the 20/1.7 lens and told the wife that's what I'm having for Christmas this year.
    I went in there again last week and they have got a red GF1 for £399 for the body or £449 with the 20/1.7 lens. So there is a few new ones still floating around.

9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

After seeing this very review is what drew me to a conclusion to purchase a GF1. Bought back in November 2009 for $1300 and haven't had any other mu43 camera since. That's because it is one camera I seem to connect with. Similar to any old engine driver, they will always tell you that a steam engine has way more 'connection' as opposed to a diesel or electric. I can't explain what it is but I think the GF1 has the same intrinsic quality. I can't say the same about my Nikon D90. It is a tough massive machine, a workhorse and that's all it is.

10. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I'm with the herd here. Craig's review tipped the scales in the GF1's favour for me too. Man was he right!....though I don't completely agree with his assessment of the LVF-1.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The merits of the LX3 is what led me to the GF1; however, this fine article would have convinced me as well.

Thank you for sharing.

How the hell did he charge the batteries while up there...:tongue:

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I remember that article too. And it SHOULD have helped convince people to buy a GF1 a year ago or two, when it was first released. Its still a great camera, but the philosophy behind that article applies to the TYPE of camera the gf1 is. Today it would inspire me to buy the GX1 (when they become available) or an EP3, which both have all of the strengths of the GF1 and have surpassed it in notable ways. Maybe even the EPL3, but I don't know if its as tough as the EP3 or GF1/GX1 for getting bounced around against rocks....

I had a GF1 for a while. It was a great camera - still is. I had an EP2 at the same time and both were great cameras with different strengths and weaknesses that made them a great pair. But there are better ones today than either of those, yet along the same lines. That have pretty much all of the strengths of both, eliminate the tradeoffs (except for IBIS, but that was never a huge deal to me), and that surpass both in some key ways. I can't imagine I'd buy one today unless it was strictly about bargain hunting and I found a really good deal on a used one.

-Ray

13. It depends on how he was travelling. If he was staying in or at least camping near the various teahouses they have power available for charging batteries (for a price).

14. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    I found this quote interesting: