1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nice macro on it's way to me... but I need more!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Farcanalman, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    So I have managed to secure a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Tele Macro Lens Adaptall 2 52B, and by the months end will have the relevant Adaptall 2 to Micro 4/3 adapter ring from SRB-Griturn!

I would like some suggestions as to what other Macro lenses might be good to acquire considering my needs and such.

The 90mm Tampon will be used in the lab for photographic recording of collected Entomological (insect) specimens.

I would like something for super close and also a lens in the prime category, say a fairly wide aperture 50mm or so!

Answers/suggestions with a laymans explaination would be much appreciated, as I admit to only ever having been an ok photographer back when I was! So all this tech-speak can be a bit overwhelming to an ageing brain in a moderately youthful body!

:eek:

Andreas

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    If you have a 4/3 adapter- the 50mm f/2 from Olympus is a fantastic lens.

Then there's is cheaper (also 4/3) wider brother the 35mm f/3.5, which can usually be had used for $150-170. Wider, and not as bright as the 50mm- but very sharp.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you'relooking to get fine detail such as scales on butterfly wings etc., consider using a bellows and a 50/2.8 Nikon enlarging lens or a Nikon 28/3.5 manual lens reversed. These will give you high magafication with outstanding sharpness, and are rather low cost when buying. If you have deep pockets, look at the OM Zuiko 38/2.8 macro lens, but you still a bellows.
    Here a link to the best site on the Internet regarding macro photography.
    Examples of the above equipment and sample photos can be found there.
    Good luck and enjoy. :smile:
    www.photomacrography.net...Front Page

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would see what kind of extension tubes, bellows, teleconverters, ring lights, macro flash, etc. you can find for a mount that will fit your Tamron, before worrying about another macro lens. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    You might wanna try sigma 50/2,8 a 1:1macro, if it still not meet your needs then try to add one of the things which ned said ext,flash,etc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

• Like Like x 1
  6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Never thought of using one of those for that purpose I must confess :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You mean using a macro to take pictures of bugs?

Oh wait... I see what you mean. Using a tampon to take pictures of bugs... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Laughed? I nearly fell off my chair!

I did wonder if people might just skim across and not see the spelling trap!

:rofl:

Anyway, yes what Ned says makes sense and we do in fact have some of that lit, I will see if I can find a ring light for sure.

I do consider it vital to have a bit more kit for 'in the field', but this will take a while as my knowledge of photography was from years ago, and some aspects have shifted with the onset of digitisation!

Thanks for the suggestions thus far and keep them coming, but don't forget to keep it simple for the old swede in my battered skull!

:2thumbs:

9. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Update!

I have managed to secure either the extension tube or the 2x converter for the 90mm Tamron... would it better to get the tube or the converter?

:whoo:

10. Beady

Beady Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Trenton Ohio
    I would go easy with the ring light or at least find one one that allows lighting ratios. I have an ebay ring flash with even light around the ring and it tends to give a flat light. I don't use it very often for that reason. I prefer a strobe with a cord so I can move the flash around.
    My friend has the nikon system that allows multiple strobes to be used around the ring with ratios set from the commander. Great system but expensive about $1000.00. Out of my price ranges so I just use a 50 dollar cord and a light modifier on the strobe.
    As far a going out and buying other lenses I would slow down and work with what you have. Do a google search for Mike Moats he does macro classes and basically does all his work with the lens you have.