1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nice forum and iPad APP !

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Bones13, May 31, 2012.

1. Bones13

Bones13 New to Mu-43

May 31, 2012
    Bones13 = Michael, 53 year old orthopedist.

I'll call myself a photo hobbiest, working on being an enthusiast. Started with a Pentax in the mid 70's. I shot for high school newspaper and yearbook. I was amazed with that camera having a built in light meter. Shot a little in college (yearbook shut down after freshman year). Medical school and residency were too busy for much else, although I upgraded to a Canon AE1 at some point. Once in practice I used it and then a Nikon 6006 taking mostly medical pictures. Point and shoot cameras became my travel camera and family recorder device. The Nikon started being the photo class camera for my kids and some neighborhood. I mean who still has a FILM camera now adays?

Anyways, after searching the web on the Leica X100, I ran across the new Micro 4/3 rds format, addressing both my issues, better sensor(esp ISO), yet smaller size. Having changeable lenses sealed the deal. Chose GF-1 over the slow focus PEN1.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Welcome Mike,

I have two film cameras.. but it untouched nowadays. :biggrin:
    GF1 is quite old, I have one myself and love the controls.
    Its recently replaced by the EM5.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome, Michael!

The GF1 is a great camera. Let us know if you have any questions.

4. Bones13

Bones13 New to Mu-43

May 31, 2012
    My local camera store got in a silver OM-D today! GF-1 will probably be put on the tripod semi-permanently for Macro work. I have used the 45 Panny Macro for both some medical shooting, and taking pics of jewelry for my wife. She does this enough I bought her a fold up light box with lamps for Christmas.

5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi bones !
    So, did you buy the OMD? I had and loved the Gf1, sold it and have been shopping for a another one ever since!
    I have quite a few film cameras,mostly old rangefinders, but they are just knick knacks now,objects of beauty in my office.

6. Bones13

Bones13 New to Mu-43

May 31, 2012
    Yep, and the battery is charging during the working afternoon.