1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Next "Star Wars" Movie To Be Shot On Film

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Aug 25, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Analog strikes back: next 'Star Wars' to be shot on film, not digital | The Verge

-> Popular Movies Still Shot Using Film, Surprise! | 120 Pearls

Film maker Christopher Nolan's perspectives on film :smile:

-> Christopher Nolan talks film vs. digital, his take on CGI, his disinterest in 3D, and much more in insightful DGA interview - Movie News | JoBlo.com

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Interesting! The Master if anyone saw it in theaters looked AMAZING, shot on Panavision Super 70 (same as Lawrence of Arabia).

On a slightly related note: [ame="http://vimeo.com/68830569"]the history of aspect ratios in cinema [/ame]

3. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    JJ Abrams likes film. The past 2 star trek movies by him were obviously on film. There was an interview where he talks film vs. Digital.

He's very much into photography of the movie and understands the details and beauty of how he want to deliver to audience.

He's brilliant.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Abrams and Nolan are both very much die-hard film guys. Me, I think the footage off a RED or Alexa is every bit a match for film, but who am I to say? Whatever works to get the job done.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  6. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I'm gonna say it was an interview....but basically the same message...the theme is "warm" with film.

7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    He also talks about how specifically he wanted the lens/light glare added to the bridge scene in his first star trek bridge scene when Kirk's dad is being attacked by the romulan miner ship.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    3/4 of the film will not be SHOT on anything, film or digital. It will be created inside a computer CGI suite. Oh, the actors speaking may be shot on film, but everything surrounding them will be green screen, filled in later. So much for the "film look."

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's not like he's under any pressure to produce.:eek:

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think film is still the way to go for movies of artistic value. Seriously.

Today's movies shot in 4K digital will look awful when we move to 8K or 16K or whatever. Movies shot on film could be simply rescanned and restored and they will still look great, just like movies shot on film in 1930s and 1940s look excellent on Blu-ray today and early 2000s TV productions shot on digital already look awful.

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I dunno..a lot of the early 2000 TV production stuff was shot on film, but the transfers made to DVD and production value can be pretty terrible.

I personally think we've already hit diminishing returns - at the largest TV sizes I would want in my home, at sane viewing distances, its already tough to tell 720p from 1080p. 4K is resolution overkill.

12. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Interesting topic. There's a documentary (Side By Side) that'll premier on Friday on U.S. PBS stations where Keanu Reeves talks to some major directors about the differences between shooting film and digital.

13. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I don't think any director, except maybe Snyder with 300 and Rodriguez with Sin City, has gone as far as Lucas did with the 'digital backlot' approach. With these films, it is as if the CGI / effects are the base and the footage is being composited in afterwards. Looking as Abrams' other work, it's a big stretch to say he won't have the actors on a physical set as much as possible, so they can interact with real props, scenery and actors as much as is possible. That's just how most people still work.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks for this - I really learned a whole lot here! :smile:

15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Slightly OT: Am I the only one who doesn't see the point behind Disney's Blu-Ray discs of HAND-DRAWN ANIMATIONS? I see these new verson of old Disney movies, and I just have to wonder, do you see the pen strokes clearer this way?:rolleyes:

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes, but take as an example the sets of the Enterprise in the last 2 star trek movies. There's no way all of that is a physical set. There may be a base physical set, but there's also a ton of CGI laid on for things like the computer displays. Pretty much any scene that's off-earth has got a lot of CGI in it.

17. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Oh really! More Star Wars....yaaawwwwnnn.:rolleyes:

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Though I doubt Disney would do it....
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Wars "reboot" with a much darker story line & characters...

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    One cool "set" was done at the National Ignition Facility. This is prototype fusion reactor that uses a huge laser to cause these tiny spheres containing deuterium and tritium to fuse. They used the reactor itself as the warp core of the Enterprise in the second movie. (I need a nerd smilie)

20. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Me too, but won't happen for a long time to come, and probably not while owned by Disney...

DISNEY TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD. | The Walt Disney Company