1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Next Prime Lens for MFT?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Muntjack, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    What's everyone waiting for now I wonder? We currently have some decent lenses available for our system and I guess most palates have been satisfied save those who want really fast zooms without too much regard to size.

Personally I'd like to see a short telephoto prime with the Leica name on it and around f2.8 - maybe a 100mm. That should be pretty reasonable in terms of size and should be just right for many events. If it were the right size I could carry a three lens pack 20/45/100 and be a very happy bunny.

M

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    When I saw your post, I clicked in to ask for exactly that! A 100mm tele. Compact in size, though I'd prefer 2.0. I have the OM 100mm 2.8, it's nice, but with all these old lenses, it shows some ghosting/bleeding wide open, so a modern lens update would be very helpful, especially if it could be the size of the OM 100! (or a bit bigger if they'd do 2.0)

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd love Cosina to expand on the Nokton 25mm concept and release something along the lines of a 17/f1.2 and 42/f1.1 in native MFT.

These obviously wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but it'd make for a hell of a fast manual kit :)

4. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Yes, I keep looking at the OM 100mm on eBay and just not quite going for it. Trouble with the old glass, good though it is, you need to go to f4 or so to get the best from them. This kind of negates the speed of the lens to begin with.

I too would prefer f2 if not too expensive. If PanaLeica could make one around £500 and not much longer than their 45mm macro I'd just have to have one.

M

5. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    You know - one day when all our AF lenses have stopped working you may be very glad you chose those things. :smile:

M

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with all the above comments. A modern 100mm f/2.8... Macro... :) would be perfect. The old ones don't show enough contrast, and/or are not sharp wide open. I have a good one (Kiron/Vivitar) for sharpness, but it doesn't have anything near the contrast of my Zuiko Digital lenses. I have to edit the photos in post to bring them up to the same level.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    A 100 f/2 would be perfect. I'd prefer Panasonic make it, so we can get OIS. :smile:

8. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Anything a bit longer really, there are loads of options between 12mm and 20mm, two 45mm options but nothing longer. 100mm at f2.8 or faster would be nice.

That was my biggest dilemma when finally deciding to sell all my Nikon equipment and moving fully to Micro 4/3 really, taking a big hit on reasonably fast long lens (the Sigma 50-150 2.8 was a favourite of mine, very compact and a joy to use)

9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Not me . . . a 300mm high quality mirror lens, sort of like the Minolta Rokkor, but AF. Would probably be no larger than the PL 45mm.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Problem with mirrors are lack of aperture adjustments and funny bokeh. But not a bad wish.

G

11. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I'd really love a 135/2.8 ff equivalent, say a 75/2.0 that is really usable wide open. Should be doable to create this at a weight of around 300 g.

12. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    100% agree.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm actually hopeful. PanOly really are releasing lenses people can use, so I'm feeling pretty positive that a 100mm lens is reasonable. Maybe not for 12 months, but I can see it in the cards.

14. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    They both just released slow 300mm zooms, so I'm not too hopeful.

Honestly, I'd prefer something like the 50-200 if they can replicate the quality of the 4/3 version at less than 700 grams.

The problem though is that a lens like this will bring CDAF to its knees. You're never going to get a tele to focus on a moving object the way you can with PDAF(please prove me wrong), so is it even worth spending $900 on a nice tele lens for m4/3?

15. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I think you have a good point here. That's why I'd be looking for something fairly short (I'd love areally good 300mm for serious birding though).
    I don't know anything about the technicalities...... is it too much too hope the manufacturers are working on improving CD right now though?

M

16. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    CDAF can be made better through brute force (the same thing it is doing now, just faster).

The problem is that for moving subjects, it behaves pretty stupidly. PDAF can actually track the subject in 3D and keep it in focus. Oly cameras now have "constant tracking autofocus" which uses software to track the subject in 2D, but it still doesn't know whether it is moving closer or further to the camera. It can move the AF point to follow it, but it will still have to hunt in and out for it.

17. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    16mm 1.4

18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Good points, but these aren't really issues for me. I have a 300mm mirror I use and love, despite its rather pedestrian IQ, and I imagine a true AF version, designed for m43, would be a marvel. There's just so light and easy to carry--a perfect marriage to the compact m43 body.

As to the aperture, as long as it's not f/8 I can live with it fine. As to the bokeh, I actually LIKE those donuts sometime, and even if you don't, you can often minimize it by your choice of background.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think the question was next PRIME lens, not next zoom.

At any rate, the 14-150 is focusing very well now on the EP3 (not as well on the EP1, so something's improved!)

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That'd be nice, too, though I'd prefer it at 17mm, though also fast.