1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Next Olympus M4/3rds camera with built-in EVF!?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by vincechu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Hey everyone,

According to 43rumors.com, who refer to a Spanish interview with a Olympus manager, the next Olympus M4/3rds camera will have a built in EVF!

See the link below for more info, it contains a link to the spanish interview.

http://43rumors.com/ft4-next-olympus-microfourthirds-camera-with-built-in-evf-e-5-at-photokina/

If this is true and it has IBIS it'll be exactly what I'm looking for :thumbup:

What would be even better would be old school ranger finder like styling! :wink:

Edit @ 19:22:
    Whats also interesting is this line at the end of the article

"Will there be new MicroFourThirds player? “We can not give information about it, but it is currently being carried out negotiations about it."

It would be amazing if any (or all) out of Fuji, Leica or Sigma* joined the format camera production wise.

Personally I'd love to see a Foveon sensor in a M4/3body ;-)

*i state these 3 companies because there have been a lot of rumours surrounding them in the past.

2. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I think alot of m4/3 users are wishing for a Rangefinder style body, & no doudt sell very well, I'll be on of the first in line to buy one if this happens.

Also the new player in the m4/3 market will most likley be Sigma,
    which tbh would be better, as it means we also have 3rd party support in lenses.

I personally think Fuji will may go it alone, with it's Foveon sensor.

Eitherway it good to here rumblering from both Panasonic & Olympus about a Rangefinder style body hopefully by the end of this year we see them.

3. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    oh please let it be a complete camera!

I've always thought that the E-P1 is a "half-cooked" camera and the E-P2 to expensive... I hope they try to get it right this time like what they did for the E-PL1

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I don't think the Pen 1 is half cooked. It's great at what it does.
    I like the form coming from Leicas. I like the screen coming from view cameras.
    A built in EVF without the hump of the G1 would be a great feature.
    A digital rangefinder/focus scale would be a deciding factor for many.
    Hopefully this once again is not wishful dreaming...
    Till then, the Pens are really comfortable and freeing to vision.
    Shooter

• Like Like x 4
  5. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Could the marketing people understand the potential of niches in a crowded mass market...

(my other wishful dreaming is a B&W dedicated sensor)

6. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    Hmm... ok maybe not half cooked but 90% cooked :biggrin: I also like it very much but I would have loved it more if it can be attached by that nerdy EVF the E-P2 has
    Then again, the LCD is very good, I can afford to shoot at hip level

Another thought... could the new M4/3 model come with a new kit lens just like the G2 and G10? I wish it will be a faster pancake lens at 20mm to 25mm

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    shooter you saved me the trouble of defending the exquisite ,.... imperfect digital pen.

but i dream of more too........... a better sensor an integrated evf...weather seals.... flash .. and more

but wanting those things does not diminish the greatness and historic specialness of my ep1

8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Cosina, Thanks...
    we have to realize that no matter what comes down the line, the Pen 1 is a great innovation. It will never go outdated. Ya can't say that for many cameras.

There will be upgrades slashing their way to improvement but the Pen is far mightier than the sword.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think a complete rangefinder style will be inevitable, Olympus can't let any other brand beat them to this.

As for who might join m4/3s, here's the group:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sanyo entered the fray; they make their own sensors, but have nothing in the DSLR style market. Even Kodak could make a come back. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I think Sanyo became part of micro four thirds when Panasonic (re) acquired them a few months back... (I say re, because I seem to recall sanyo was a spin off from panasonic to begin with or something like that...)

11. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Please dear Lord let Kodak come back :hail:

Cheers

Brian

12. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    oh yeah one more thing given the original topic of this thread :biggrin:

All this talk about evf's being new and this new idea of them being built in seems a little silly to me. I use to own an olympus C740. It had a built in EVF. It worked great. Some of my best pictures are still the ones I've gotten with that camera. That was about 6 to 8 years ago... :sad010: I kind of miss that camera, almost bought one again after seeing it at a used store for $50.

My pictures use to be pretty good with that camera, I'm having troubles capturing pictures with my e-p1 like the ones I did with the old c-740...

13. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

I agree, but I also think that Panasonic won't be too far away from this too. See this discussion about a new patent - the GF2?:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=1463

If you scroll down a bit you can see how similar it looks like to the Digilux and L1, which were kind of rangefinder-ish ;-)

It would be amazing if this actually materialised as a shared body between leica and panasonic like the L1 and Digilux :love: and of course this would mean that Leica would join m4/3 with a camera body... guess I can keep dreaming :biggrin:

on a more serious note it would be great if more companies joined m4/3, think of all the possible co-development, and the range or lenses and bodies we'd get. I'd love to see Sigma join and use their Foveon sensor and for lense development ;-)