1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Next m43 Lens: Olympus 7-14 Pro or 40-150 Pro?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RobDMB, May 13, 2015.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    I am relatively new to photography and recently obtained an Olympus Em5 Mark II with the Olympus 12-40mm Pro lens. I love the combo. I want to eventually acquire the three zoom lenses to cover the entire range as I find I shoot mostly with zoom given the convenience and the optical quality of the pro lenses. I am at the point where I plan to be purchasing another lens soon and am debating between the newly announced 7-14/2.8 Pro or the 40-150/2.8 Pro. I'm looking for suggestions as to which would be more useful as a second lens. Right now the 12-40mm is my only lens.

Generally, I shoot family shots around the house and outdoor/nature/architecture photos. Landscape, etc. Not too much of a street shooter in terms of capturing candidates of people.

Any suggestions or advice to help me decide would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    They're very different focal lengths. Which end do you feel more?

Do you need more reach? Get the 40-150.

If you want to get more creative, the 7-14 can give you more exaggerated foreground and a sense of distance.

Personally I'm keen to get a wide angle lens... I like shooting wide on the 12-40 and want to try going wider. The cheap 40-150mm which can be had for $100-200, satisfies my occasional telephoto needs at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    With 12mm you have already a quite wide lens. Yes, 7mm is a LOT wider, check here:

http://g3.img-dpreview.com/F68D803D317441D3BA4BF8621EB87EF0.jpg

I never had a lens this wide so I have no idea how does it feel. It should be ideal for landscapes, big subjects (monuments, churches, etc.) and to shoot in tight spaces.

With the 40-150 you have more reach: if you are outdoor, animals, children, sports, etc. it will make a lot of difference. This lens is also good for portraits. I think is a more general use lens then an ultra wide. This lens is huge for m43 standards.

I do not know if this is relevant for you but nobody likes to carry around a lot of weight "just in case". And pro lenses add weight quickly. Seems like you already decided that you need all of these lenses, but maybe you do not. And there are also a lot of prime lenses that are worth considering like the 75mm or the 42.5mm/1.2, just to name two.

I have the 12-40, the small 40-150 and a couple of primes: a reasonable size/quality compromise for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    While I absolutely LOVE my 40-150/2.8 Oly lens, it is a very specialized one for me. I don't take it everywhere, only when I know I will need it. I still have my $100 40-150/4-5.6 for general bop around, just in case use. Look into the $100.

I could see you getting more use out of the 7-14/2.8, based on what you stated in the original post. You might even be able to save some money if you also consider the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 zoom. No slouch in the IQ department either.

Bottom line, spend the money on the wide zoom and get a less expensive tele zoom for the time being.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    For what you are currently shooting the 7-14 may be used more often. But since the 7-14 is new it will be hard to find at any discount. So look for the 40-150 and the 1.4x TC that you can use with the 40-150 to give it the extra reach. With the TC you have the equivalent reach of 420mm on a full frame 35mm body. That is enough reach for most wildlife. Of course if you are a birder, you will want the 300mm f4 when it is released (in 2016?). BTW, the TC can be used on both the 40-150mm and the 300mm.....not on the other Pro lenses.

6. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    Thanks. I am leaning that way. I've been shooting for a about a year (had a Fuji w/ 55-200 previously and only used it a handful of times) and so far have felt little need for a telephoto. I'm thinking I could always pickup a used Olympus 40-150/4.0-5.6 for about $100 or less to cover that range until I am able to upgrade. Regardless I assume the 12-40mm will remain on my camera most of the time. I have had a few instances over the last year where I wished I had a wider lens when shooting landscapes (for example on a trip to Hawaii).

7. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    The 7-14 would be be the best choice for architecture and landscape. It will also be MUCH smaller than the 40-150 pro so easier to carry around. This would be a great travel lens.

I use the 40-150 pro for nature, sports, birds etc. Great with the TC. This is not a carry everywhere lens though.

Based on what you wrote above, I would go with the 7-14 and pick up the inexpensive smaller 40-150 as a backup when longer FL is needed (been suggested earlier in this thread).

8. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Before choosing your next lens, try to figure out with your current kit which direction of reach you are wanting more of.

The 7-14 is a specialty lens, wide angles like that can be difficult to use, especially for newer photographers. The 40-150 provides nice reach for kids' sports, family candids etc ... Only you can determine what your needs/desires are and that only comes from working with what you currently have and determining what is lacking.

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    If I were you, I'd definitely get the 12-40 f2.8 Pro or Pana 12-35 f2.8. I have the former and it's superb. The latter is comparable. You would probably use this lens most of the time. And, instead of splurging on the 7-14 Pro (or Pana 7-14) or the 40-150 Pro, maybe you could consider the M.Zuiko 9-18 and M.Zuiko 40-150 f4-5.6. You could get both for less than either of the two Pro lenses with plenty to spare for other things, like a compatible flash unit. I have both non-Pro lenses and like them a lot. Then, if you want fast primes for low-light, street, portraits, or macro, you have a multitude to pick from, from both Olympus and Panasonic at 12, 14, 17, 20, 25, 30, 42.5, 45, 60, and 75mm, plus the 19, 30, and 60 from Sigma, and manual lenses from other manufacturers. http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lens_chart.html Wow, lots of choices. :)

10. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    Thanks. I do have the 12-40/2.8 already so whichever lens I get would be in addition to that.

11. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I think you have answered your own question. The Fuji is a really nice lens and if you didn't use it, you won't use the much more expensive Oly 40-150 2.8. Get the cheap 40-150 for those just-in-case scenarios.

It doesn't sound like you really need the 7-14 either, if you only have a few instances where you desired wider than the 12-40. Want is another matter though ...

The best advice I can offer, as someone who did this professionally for over 25-years, is to master what you have, that will help you grow as a photographer. Having too many lens choices can hamper learning and creativity when you are newer to the craft, as you say you are.

Of course, Olympus would be happy for you to buy the PRO lenses, and it is your money, so if you can afford it, go for it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I suggest you look at your favourite photographs. Were most of them shot at the wide end or the long end of your 12-40? Extend your range in that direction and see where you go.

13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    12 is already pretty wide already.

The 40-150 gets you 110mm more FL, while the 7-14 only gets you 5mm additional for your over $1000 f2.8 money.

Depends on what you want to do, but there are much lower cost options to experiment with UWA.

Good advice to master what you have. It's among the best already and see what you find lacking over time.

Unless you have an obvious need such as wildlife or the kids soccer games, that's the best advice. What you have is already among the best so you're sacrificing nothing working with it for awhile.

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Comparing focal lengths like that is just wrong. What you need to be comparing is angle of view, where 5mm at the wide angle end makes a huge difference...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Yes, but 12mm is nevertheless pretty wide already and unless there is a specific desire for the 7mm or so capability it's a lot of money spent with some overlap. There are also some very good UWA lenses at much less cost, but not really alternatives of equivalent quality in MFT for the 40-150.

40mm is not very long. There's no overlap with the 40-150. There are shots I could be satisfied with at 12 vs 7, but there are shots that 40 would be completely inadequate for compared to 150.

Depends on what the user wants to do most. Not really a question we can answer for him, just a different way to think about it.

16. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    For those purchasing in the States: I wrote to Olympus USA about them charging sales tax. They confirmed they have a legal point of presence in all the states so therefore they must collect sales tax for the states. So for a full list price item, you may be able to save a few dollars by staying with B&H, Adorama, or others. If Olympus does have an item on sale with a price lower than the online retailers, just make sure the discount covers the sales tax for your state. I ordered my 7-14 from B&H, no tax, no shipping.