Next Lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by scottychop, Oct 31, 2012.

1. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    For the crowd who can afford anything, I'm sure this question would be an easy one. BUT, I am on a budget. New dad, new car, tough job, etc... puts me squarely into the spend little category.

EDIT: budget is $500 or below...

Just purchased the OM-D coming from the PL2 and D90. I have:

Panasonic 14/2.5
    OLY 12-50
    Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50/1.4 (LOVE!)
    Several slow 135's from ebay.

What lens would you recommend for the next? I mostly shoot portrait work with my son, landscape for hiking in the Cascades, and travel/street for an upcoming trip to Romania. I lean towards something fast like the 20/1.7?
  2. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I would consider the 45 1.8, it's a damn fine lens, and not overly bad on the pricing.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think the 20mm would be a good choice. It'll give you something fast but wider to complement your Rokkor. How slow are your 135mm's, like f/3.5? Upgrading those to f2.8 would be worthwhile if you're not there yet. If f/2.8 is where you're at though, then the jump to f/2 would probably be too spendy. I'm guessing the 60mm/2.8 macro or 75mm/1.8 would be out of your budget? How about picking up an MMF-3 adapter and some nice weather sealed Zuiko Digital glass? Currently your 12-50mm is the only sealed option you have, and that's a slow, soft beast in comparison to something sharp and relatively fast like the 14-54mm/2.8-3.5 II. I'm assuming the Lumix 12-35mm/2.8 is out of your budget, of course. That MMF-3 adapter will open up your options to all kinds of affordable but high quality glass. The super-sharp and inexpensive Zuiko 35mm/3.5 Macro is a good example. Or if you spend more money you could buold a fully sealed set of high grade glass like the fabulous Zuiko 50-200mm/2.8-3.5 for instance. You are already used to manual focus with your Rokkor and 135mm's. Since you say you love the Rokkor, I assume it's not a problem for you (it's not for me, neither - I shoot everything from sports to fashion with MF, which makes my lens options much greater).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Thanks guys

I have considered the 45, just not sold on it as the next one yet.

Ned, I do love shooting manual as it harkens me back to shooting my first and only film cameras. The sealed lens idea really appeals to me. I'll have to check out some of the old stuff.

5. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm starting to sound like an old record stuck in a worn out groove, but:

GET THE Panny 20!

6. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    It depends on your preferences, but either the 20/1.7 pancake, the PL 25/1.4, or the 45/1.8 would likely be best. Since you already have the 14 and the zoom for the wide-angle / landscape / travel / street, and the manual 50/1.4 (LOVE!) for portraits, I suggest considering the PL25. With the recent price drop it's now in your price range.

(Agree on the Rokkor-X 50/1.4 - wonderful glass!)
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Get the P20 one of the sharpest lenses in m43land according charts and tests on several websites. Also the P20 plus the omd gets you a coat/jacket pocket camera!! Is not a portrait dedicated lens but an awesome travel /street / landscape lens!
  8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    :thiagree: This would be my recommendation, too! One major consideration when I picked the PL25 over the 20/1.7 is the AF speed. You mentioned you like taking pictures of your son. I find the 20/1.7 focuses too slowly for a moving kid. The PL25 allows me to get a lot more keepers for photos of my young daughter...
  9. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Just reached the limits of the 14/2.5 today. Inside at night, lowish light but not too bad. Very bad shots, but was using my PL2. Busted out the MD 1.4 and all was good again.

I am probably going to go with the 20 and then the 45 when budget allows. That will give me most of what I am looking for. Then in a year or so I'll step it up to a high end lens like the 75.

Thanks for your thoughts.