1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Next lens after 14-45 for Gf1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dangermouse1968, May 26, 2011.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Hi,

I have a GF1 which isn't getting used and a works bonus. I thought I'd splash a bit of cash on something new and hopefully that would inspire me into getting out and using this lovely camera more.

I'm generally having to take pictures of the kids and dog and walk about shots in cambridgeshire, but really I like to go the coast or hills to take landscapes. I already have a tripod and a cable release.

What would you buy? A 20mm 1.7 that sounds so delicious? What about the LVF? Or maybe some software or filters?

Thanks,

David

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    If you plan to take a lot of kids and pets picture and don't mind move a bit closer to compose, then 20mm Panny is a great choice. But it may be a bit hard to get extreme close-up due to the nature of lens. It still let you take object with enough background tough.

If you love to take landscape you might want 14mm lens that give more wider angle and if you need some distance with object you can consider 45-200mm instead.

I'll reserved LVF till the last, the GF1 screen is already good enough unless you always take a picture outdoor with some highly bright summer light/sun on your back. There are also few open source or cheap image editing software that you can use. As filter I rarely use it other than protecting the lens from my own smudgy finger.

3. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    For Landscapes I use oly 9-18, wonderfull lens extremelly small and light and a very aforable price.
    Important also over pana 7-14 is the posibility to use filters, IMHO very important on landscape photography

4. Is a new lens really going to make you want to use the camera more?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Good question. What are the limitations to the current lens that are holding you back? The kit lenses are good, and are in fact very useful for landscape, for example.

Maybe think more of the type of photography you like, and also think of some photo projects, and add to the photo threads here. By making more photographs you will come up against limitations where a new lens can help. All the lenses mentioned here are great, but what is more important is the why of each lens.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 lenses field of view are covered by the 14-45 (which I have found to be a very good sharp lens over all). I own the 20/1.7 and love it but mostly use it indoors and when I just want one lens for a walk. And when I want a little extra sharpness.

Unless you need low light capability (indoor family shots) from what you said about landscapes I would lean toward the Olympus 9-18. I bought this lens about two months ago and I can say it is being used about 50% of the time. So I would tend to agree with longimanus above. It is very small and handy to carry around. Every time I get the lens out I find it so cute I just go "awwwwww". My wife finds it amusing.

However for the kids and go you may find the 45-200 handy for those long candids and actions shots (for sports) as well as nature (critters, etc.). If my kids were not grown up this would probably be my most used lens.

But Luckypenguin makes a great point. What caused you to buy the camera and what changed that has caused you use it less? If that doesn't change back then a new lens may not be used either.

7. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. There are some good points made already. The Oly lens and why a new lens at all????

Here's my story .... ever since I was child I've been into photography on-and-off. At Uni I remember having a gorgeous Nikon FM-2 and then trading it in towards a Canon EOS 650. Years later whilst working I rediscovered a love of hill-walking and the photography came back. Coincidently, a job near Glasgow was majorly helpful and my love of landscape photography grew tremendously and with the help of cameras up to and including a Mamiya 7 II I actually got some really nice pictures that hang on the walls today. When work brought us back down to Cambridge a few years ago and the landscaope I loved (mountains and lochs) was gone the interest dwindled. The medium format kit went, a dSLR came and went and then GF1 came. I've come to realise that I need to shift my perspective though, not my gear. I need to accept that for 50+ weeks of the year I'm not going to be able to get to the mopuntains or the coast and I need to find exciting things tio photograph close-at-hand or I will get disillusioned.

I have three beautiful children. There is a little landscape interest around here but maybe that's just different too, maybe I need to look at the untraditional shots (like grafitti, rustic structures, architecture etc) to find the thrill and keep it. Do I have nice kit to be able to photograph these things well? Yes, I do but there is better out there or more versatile......

...... and a new lens would generate some motivation too ;-)

David
    (off to read up on the Oly 9-18 now)

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What kind of lenses were you using on your film cameras? Telephoto, wide angle, macro, etc? Primes, or zooms? Fast lenses, slower lenses?

Some of my favorite Micro Four-Thirds lenses would include the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro, Panasonic 7-14mm f/4.0, and of course the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton. ;) If you want fast zooms, you should get a Four-Thirds mount adapter, then you can use some good glass like the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Mark II (for CDAF compatibility), Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD, Leica D 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Vario-Elmarit, Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 macro, and others.

However, I can't make any suggestions without knowing more about your shooting needs and what you feel is lacking in your current setup.

9. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    At the height of enjoyment I used primes on the Mamyia & and slr's - I think that was the best. At other times I used zooms. Whatever I buy I would like to be able to use filters on the front to try to get it right "in-camera" before I have to spend an evening infront of the pc trying to sort it out. I want to be able to take great portraits of the kids and walk-about shots but when I get the chance of a few days in the Lake District, or where ever, still have the kit to not let me down.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're liking the primes, then the native Micro Four-Thirds lenses have quite a nice selection. Top three would probably be the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro, and Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton. I don't hear much about the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, but what I have heard has been pretty good.

Not much for wider or longer, though. The Leica 45mm is a 90mm Equivalent Focal Length, which is not bad. If you get a Four-Thirds mount adapter though, you can mount the Vivitar 85mm f/1.8, which gives you a 170mm equivalent... but then you can also get all kinds of other manual-focus 85mm primes with other mount adapters as well.

11. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Thanks Ned, I'm thinking maybe I'll start out with the 20mm as everyone seems to rave about it, then I'll decide if I want the EVF. After that I'm thinking the Oly 9-18mm for wide angled landscapes (as the Pany equiv is just too expensive!) and the long Panasonic zooms (45-200?) for some wildlife. Sounds like a nice set to me!!!

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think for most people, it does exactly that. Especially adding the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens to the kit zoom.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :rofl:

Cannot be stressed enough. a new lens really IS going to make you want to use the camera more ... if it's the right lens mind you.
    Maybe that's the crux of the discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Given your response to all the questions, I would support your choice of the 20mm. In itself it's a great lens, but in actual use it's much more than technically good. A M4/3 camera with the 20 can be fun, a real pleasure to use. It's incredibly versatile, the combination will fit in a small bag and can be taken everywhere, it will challenge and inspire you.

A new lens will indeed make you use your camera. But, not all new lenses will make you want to keep using it once the novelty wears off - I bet this one will do just that.

Best wishes.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I was just talking with a sales associate in one of our retail stores yesterday with Olympus cameras and he mentioned a very similar idea, that he likes the Olympus PEN bodies but the best way to sell them is with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake. If you mount that lens on the PEN then when people buy it they will love the camera and keep coming back for more.

I couldn't agree with him more. Even as an Olympus representative, I would rather see somebody fall completely in love with the PEN using a sweet Panasonic lens, than to feel normal enthusiasm about the camera with an m.Zuiko kit lens (we were comparing the m.Zuiko 17mm pancake with the Panasonic 20mm pancake).