Next gen Lumix GH series cameras unveiling May 25. Link in post

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Cool, GH6 coming this year with a new image sensor and engine.

Also telling that it was ALL about video. (to be expected off a GH series cam).

Good to know the format is alive and kicking :drinks:

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Video video video. Blah blah blah. It would appear that Panasonic has decided that the M-4/3 stills market isn't worth the effort. So if someone wants an upgrade to their G9, their choices are to pay big $ for a video-centric camera or move to Olympus, a company who's photography future is currently tenuous.

So, S series or Nikon? Hmmm.....

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Video video video. Blah blah blah. It would appear that Panasonic has decided that the M-4/3 stills market isn't worth the effort. So if someone wants an upgrade to their G9, their choices are to pay big $ for a video-centric camera or move to Olympus, a company who's photography future is currently tenuous.

So, S series or Nikon? Hmmm.....
They will have to accomplish a business case, and start updating the most advanced/expensive cams. Which probably also are the ones sold most, also because of video.

Then it will hopefully ? trickle down to less expensive models. An updated sensor is an excellent reason for many to update their cams.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/videos/video/exciting-gh5-ii-and-gh6-cameras-from-panasonic

Also a 25-50mm 1.7 is coming. And there's talk of upcoming firmware updates for the G9, GH5S and G100. Hope it's more than just video focused.
The lens means little to me and a firmware update is anticlimactic. It's little more than tossing a bone to the G9 users.

"See, we haven't forgotten you." Uh...sure looks like you have.
They will have to accomplish a business case, and start updating the most advanced/expensive cams. Which probably also are the ones sold most, also because of video.

Then it will hopefully ? trickle down to less expensive models. An updated sensor is an excellent reason for many to update their cams.
Panasonic has always been more devoted to video and it's done well for them. That's fine, but leaving G9 users with nothing more than a firmware update and not even suggest there may be an improved body in the future is very disappointing. It tells me they're treating the stills market as a necessary evil. I've waited around twice now to see if it trickles down, first with the G90/95 and now this. Piffle.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
The lens means little to me and a firmware update is anticlimactic. It's little more than tossing a bone to the G9 users.

"See, we haven't forgotten you." Uh...sure looks like you have.

Panasonic has always been more devoted to video and it's done well for them. That's fine, but leaving G9 users with nothing more than a firmware update and not even suggest there may be an improved body in the future is very disappointing. It tells me they're treating the stills market as a necessary evil. I've waited around twice now to see if it trickles down, first with the G90/95 and now this. Piffle.
I know that lens will be expensive (like the 10-25 1.7), and it might even be another play for video, but it's still a positive in my eyes to see them bringing a new lens to M43. There's already a pretty wide lens lineup in M43, so they could have done nothing here.

The firmware updates are hopefully more than just video, but seeing that the GH5S and G100 are also getting updates, it's probably mostly a video play. I still like much about the G9, but I won't argue with them trying to squeeze more out of it if they can.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I know that lens will be expensive (like the 10-25 1.7), and it might even be another play for video, but it's still a positive in my eyes to see them bringing a new lens to M43. There's already a pretty wide lens lineup in M43, so they could have done nothing here.

The firmware updates are hopefully more than just video, but seeing that the GH5S and G100 are also getting updates, it's probably mostly a video play. I still like much about the G9, but I won't argue with them trying to squeeze more out of it if they can.
You're viewing it as glass half full, I am viewing it as an invitation to change formats. If they're going to abandon the stills market in favor of video (and I can't fault them, it's their bread and butter) then what's the purpose in holding on? The hope for future firmware updates?

It looks like the best option for an upgraded body is to buy a GH6 bloated with video features I neither want nor need. If I'm going to spend that much $, then may as well dive in the deep end.

Very disappointed. I'm sure after I shop around for a few days and experience sticker shock I'll end up staying, but for now I'm going to vent. Thanks, Panny.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Very disappointed. I'm sure after I shop around for a few days and experience sticker shock I'll end up staying, but for now I'm going to vent.
This probably sums up Panasonic's point of view as well. They likely know that one of the big appeals to the M43 lineup is price/value. If you started over today, you'd pay considerably more, and for how much better results? It's not just the prices of the bodies, but the price and weight of some of the "pro" lenses out there are an immediate turn-off to me. I know that 25-50 will be on the heavy side for M43, and it will certainly be expensive too. I can't justify that--at least not yet, anyway. o_O

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
It's not just the prices of the bodies, but the price and weight of some of the "pro" lenses out there are an immediate turn-off to me.
This is where I always hit a dead end. Money is not a problem for me until I start thinking about an 800 mm lens for a FF camera. There's no way I can even begin to justify that kind of coin, even in my twisted and warped sense of priorities.

When I think about FL I know that the vast majority of my photos are from 12-200, so I'd need that range plus a decent prime.

To start.

Then there are those wide museum shots I like. And those long-reach airshow photos.

And so it goes.

(sigh)

Real Name
Andrew L
Do we have any presumed knowledge of what this new (possibly 24mp) sensor might be? I don't recall that spec being in the rumorsphere. Here's to hoping we eventually get 14-bit RAW still image files with some extra DR headroom...

DAEMANO

Mu-43 Regular
This probably sums up Panasonic's point of view as well. They likely know that one of the big appeals to the M43 lineup is price/value. If you started over today, you'd pay considerably more, and for how much better results? It's not just the prices of the bodies, but the price and weight of some of the "pro" lenses out there are an immediate turn-off to me. I know that 25-50 will be on the heavy side for M43, and it will certainly be expensive too. I can't justify that--at least not yet, anyway.

o_O

Mobile phones killed the entry level "cheap" end of the line. Not just for compact cameras, but also for ILCs like M43. What's left is enthusiast (content creator) pro-sumer, pro. Those will be the new product releases in the future. The good news is that this gear always ends up on the used market and is just as good. So enjoy it.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Panasonic mentioned firmware updates for the G series. I hope that it includes the G90.
The GH5 II is now the best vlogging camera out there versatility wise. But I can see broadcasters using it as well.

Real Name
Andrew L
Mobile phones killed the entry level "cheap" end of the line. Not just for compact cameras, but also for ILCs like M43. What's left is enthusiast (content creator) pro-sumer, pro. Those will be the new product releases in the future. The good news is that this gear always ends up on the used market and is just as good. So enjoy it.
Panasonic and Olympus have to be pushed into abandoning old tech in the bottom end of their lines, though. The 16mp sensor is so dang old, yet it's still being put into entry level bodies. The GX9 and G100 might be the examples of Panasonic finally offering most of what's in their higher end cameras in the bottom end of their lineup. That's a good thing.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
This is where I always hit a dead end. Money is not a problem for me until I start thinking about an 800 mm lens for a FF camera. There's no way I can even begin to justify that kind of coin, even in my twisted and warped sense of priorities.

When I think about FL I know that the vast majority of my photos are from 12-200, so I'd need that range plus a decent prime.

To start.

Then there are those wide museum shots I like. And those long-reach airshow photos.

And so it goes.

(sigh)
The 100-400 lives on my G9, so going elsewhere would require me to work out all the time. Then I wouldn’t be taking pictures as much, would I?

On another thread, there is a tweet from Panasonic that says the FW update brings AF improvements from the S5, so there’s that.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
The 100-400 lives on my G9, so going elsewhere would require me to work out all the time. Then I wouldn’t be taking pictures as much, would I?

On another thread, there is a tweet from Panasonic that says the FW update brings AF improvements from the S5, so there’s that.
I'm still trying to sort out if they actually bring the entire S5 AF improvements or if just the animal /bird.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
You're viewing it as glass half full, I am viewing it as an invitation to change formats. If they're going to abandon the stills market in favor of video (and I can't fault them, it's their bread and butter) then what's the purpose in holding on? The hope for future firmware updates?

It looks like the best option for an upgraded body is to buy a GH6 bloated with video features I neither want nor need. If I'm going to spend that much $, then may as well dive in the deep end.

Very disappointed. I'm sure after I shop around for a few days and experience sticker shock I'll end up staying, but for now I'm going to vent. Thanks, Panny.

The GH6 is going to be expensive, especially if you don’t use the video options. Switching is also expensive, and especially regarding tele, there are no reasonable alternatives imo. So your back to the GH6.

The GH6 will have to appear first, and then see how it actually performs.

In the mean time others will have introduced new cams and lenses as well. Maybe even Olympus will show up with a cam + the new sensor.

Latest threads

Top Bottom