Next E-M1 MK II ---- Carbon Fibre?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zulfur666, May 9, 2014.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I would prefer to see the next E-M1 MK II as a Carbon fibre model instead of full metal body. MUCH stronger than metal plus shave off a LOT of weight. Thoughts?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Same as I said in the other thread. ;)

3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Stronger but more brittle. I would rather have a dent than a shatter.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Think the E-M1 needs some weight shaved off?!? REALLY!?! Have a go at lugging a D4 or D800 with a lens or two and you'll change your position - literally and figuratively!

5. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Perhaps plastic is more brittle or easy to break but not carbon fibre, unless you drop your camera to the floor which will ruin it either way sensor misaligned, shock in electronic components etc.
    As far as comparing it to a FF with lens... blah blah I used to have a 5D III know what thats like, but hey you always have to improve and keep moving forward even with newer materials. Otherwise ..... another one bites the dust aka Canikon

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    My understanding of CF is that it has electrical properties that make it poorly suited for such an application. I don't know whether this is in regards to conductivity, shielding, etc...

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    CF has very interessant structural properties, but other than looking cool I'm not sure it would do much other than add manufacturing cost.

Carbon fibre is not stronger than metal, it's just stronger than metal *for its weight*. It's a very stiff material, slightly brittle (depends on the epoxy formulation, etc), and has been used for electronics (Lenovo's think pads) so it can certainly be done.

It is more brittle than a good plastic, which is probably the most shock proof material, selected appropriately. For a camera that's already as light as an E-M1, I'm not sure more weight reduction is necessarily a good thing; you need some mass to prevent shutter shock (see the A7r issues - though I haven't seen it).

I love CF as a material in my road bike (stiff, light, smoother ride than aluminum and almost as comfy as steel) and use it quite a bit as a structural element in my guitars (neck reinforcement, braces on acoustics), but I don't see an immediate advantage for a camera body or lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The issues with carbon fibre are not just the cost vs other materials, it's the fact that it will need reinforcing materials added so that you can install mounts (you don't just screw into the carbon fibre), seals (these require complex and often very fine grooves and the like) and many other considerations when talking about complex structures, which then increases the complexity and cost of manufacture.

Does anyone really think that you could make anything like this entirely from carbon fibre and for it not to be expensive:

666-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Metal-Body-2_1378977257.

666-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Metal-Body-3_1378977264.

• Like Like x 1
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Using terms like metal or plastic are generic terms and really don't mean anything, because there are thousands of different metal types/alloys and plastics. They all have different properties and applications. Aluminum alloys are commonly used in cameras this is an overview of aluminum alloys. Not so simple.

10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Carbon Fibre comes into it's element in larger, very high density applications.

I've used CF guitars and basses and taken a few apart and can't imagine something as hollow as a camera body working well.

For instance, guitars made of CF can actually sometimes be heavier than their wood cousins because of the sheer amount of laminating required to prevent the entire structure from shattering on impact (especially the guitar neck.) CF also has weird resonant properties. Something the size of a camera made entirely out of CF would "gong" when the shutter trips without weight added.

CF is extremely expensive to work with too and I think it's more toxic than Ebony dust when being shaped.

Hmmm... a camera made out of Ebony - not counting drop-bed style large format would be interesting - but Ebony is getting very hard to source ... Ironwood camera perhaps? ;-)

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    A camera made out of ebony ... yesss ...

Now a brass e-P5 would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You know, when I get my CNC machine up and running I may just design a wood body for my GF2. Just for laughs. Bubinga with brass fitting or something (since I have a lot of bubinga. And ebony is a pain to actually work with..)

• Like Like x 1
  13. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    If you ever get around to trying that I'd like to see it... Bubinga is like Pau Ferro - The fingerboard on one of my basses is bubinga and it's very hard. Fodera in New York is using a product called "Diamond Wood" for one their fingerboards. It's pressed wood in laminates with glue. Looks kinda like rosewood, "feels" like rosewood to the fingers. It doesn't have that weird slippery feeling that phenolic resin tends to have.

...Reminds me of the guy who showed up to our studio with a hand-built rosewood telecaster... I asked him where he got all that rosewood... he put his finger to his mouth and shushed me. ;-)

14. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    And that reminds me of a friend who used to hang out on different second hand stores. just to buy mahogny furniture and then he smashed them and tried to sell it as bulk. Funny guy