Next Camera Upgrade of E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dbzkid777, Sep 29, 2014.

1. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi everyone,

The E-M1 is everything I am looking for in terms of weatherproof technology.
    From what I've read, it seems like the E-M1 hasn't quite "matured" yet and I'll be waiting for the next camera which will be an upgrade.
    Any idea when Olympus will release it? Late 2015, 2016?

2. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Please explain what you mean by "matured".

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    There's a refresh of the EM1 coming out soon....but not sure it's what you're looking for if you feel it's not matured.

4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The only - and I mean only - aspect of the E-M1 that remains 'immature' is continuous/tracking autofocus. And that's true for all mirrorless cameras right now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    The E-M1 was released about 1 year ago

I would expect a revision in Sep 2015 - apropos of nothing

What I would look for re enhancements
    1. Better, quicker PDAF
    2. Better low light IQ.
    3. Fix little issues and ergonomics
    4. 4k video

7. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Ummm...SILVER is out in October 2014...Hello?
    :drinks:

8. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    really?

9. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    The EM-5 came out a year earlier and has not been refreshed yet. So I would not expect a new EM-1 next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Personally, I'm happy that the update schedule is extended. I much prefer substantial improvements to new cameras, rather than incremental stuff that doesn't add significant value. The E-M1, in its current form, is an excellent camera in just about any situation. It is a far better and more capable camera than any Olympus camera that came before it and, in many ways, is ahead of many of the 'traditional' DSLRs. YMMV, toodle-oo.

• Like Like x 3
  11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'd say that video is also immature, but I personally don't care about that. Also, some areas remain for software improvement, particularly around Wifi workflow. Honestly, I don't see myself needing another full featured camera for the foreseeable future.

12. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Agree with OzRay!!

Would rather see them maximising what we have with new software releases and bring in a new body when substantial changes can be made. In the meanwhile push the lens development!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    +1

At least a couple of years!

14. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    What exactly do you mean by "hasn't quite "matured" yet"? Are you talking specifically about the EM1 or about m43 or mirrorless in general?

In any case, whether a new EM1 replacement is released in 2015 (highly unlikely IMO) or 2016 (possibly), once released there will be speculations about an even newer model. If you play the wait game, you'll never end up buying and only wishing for an even better camera. Buy what you want/need today and enjoy taking pictures with it until something else comes along that may or may not replace what you currently have.

In any case, IMO, a replacement for the EM5 will come first before the EM1 replacement, IMO.

15. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    I totally agree.....trying to time the optimal purchase is a futile exercise, IMO. There will always be a "new and improved" version....waiting for it will result in missed photo opportunities.

16. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    $$$ issues! :(

17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you don't need a dearth of external buttons on the camera body, built in grip, PDAF or focus peaking, you could save yourself a lot of money or redirect it to lenses by buying an EM5. Used right now, you can get them for between $500-$600.

Just something to consider.

18. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    During the Olympus press conference and interviews at the photokina they've mentioned that the lifecycles will get longer and they'll improve them with firmare updates during that time. It should be at least two years. Since the E-M1 isn't that old I would expect a new one around 2016. 2015 might be the year of a new E-M5.