Nexstar 6 se telescope

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Briar, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    I've often pondered if I could use my e-pl1 with my nexstar 6 se telescope. Obviously I would need an adapter of some kind to attach the camera to the telescope but where would I start looking for one that fits? Has anyone else tried to use their telescope with their :43: cameras?

2. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

The conventional way to use a T-adaptor, Celestron sells them. With that you need a T-ring for your camera and they can be purchased at any good camera store.

I just checked Celestron T-adaptor is Product Number #93625 about $30

The µ-43 T-Ring can be found here http://cncsupplyinc.com/index.htm?trings.htm for about $25

That is all you will need.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Not to start a fight, but cncsupply I believe is the old scopetronix, and they were having money difficulties a few years back, not shipping items..etc.

I just picked up at adoroma a micro four thirds to T-2. I am waiting for my t thread to 1 1/4 inch focuser adapter as we speak. I have a 5" reflector and 4" achromat I want to take some shots with.

Consider this:

Celestron SLR (35mm OR Digital) Camera Adapter 93633-A - B&H

This screws onto the back of your SCT and has a t-2 threads on the other end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

No fight here. It was the first one i came with on a google. I don't have the T mount for my µ-42 as it is not used for astrophotography.

In any event thanks for the heads up.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    np,

I am into astronomy, and that company comes up on some of the astro forums from time to time.

I got my m4/3 to t-2 adapter real cheap at adorama. They show up on ebay from time to time too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Telescopes and microfourthirds

Hi Briar:

Adding your camera to your telescope should be simple--and you have the most critical components! As Grant noted, T-mount adapters are the rule in astronomy and Celestron sells an adapter for accepting the T-mounted SLR bodies.

My setup for photographing the moon is a T-mount adapter that accepts Nikon bodies, and I use a microfourthirds adapter to Nikon body. This is inserted where the eyepiece would go--but with your Celestron you probably should check a dealer and make sure what the adapter would be. I found that a focal length of 2000 mm fills the microfourthirds sensor with an image of the moon. My shutter speed has been running at 1/100 second for ISO 100. The main thing for the mount is stability and precision in delicately moving the scope so you can find your subject and follow it as moves across the sky. For moon photography at low power, you do not need an equatorial mount.

Your setup should work OK for terrestrial work as well. The main problem is the atmosphere. Heat waves can kill image sharpness. I find that I tend to shoot at surprisingly close distances--50 feet or so. I photograph small birds with a telescope. My web site has some bird photos and they were all taken with a telescope rather than a telephoto.

Sorry for the length of the reply, but using a telescope with your camera can be a real blast.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Ok, feeling slightly embarrassed now ... spoke to my husband tonight about my plans to buy a T-adapter and he replied "why, you never opened the box for the last one you bought"! Not believing him, I had a rake in the cupboard and found two very dusty boxes, one containing a t-adapter and the second containing a t-ring for the canon eos! Of course, neither had been opened. I still have my canon eos so wil have a go on a clear night and see how I get on with that camera. Thanks for all your input ... might come back with more questions but just now I'm going to sit in the corner and feel silly! Doh!

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Briar,

If thats the case, all you would need for a m43 camera is a t-ring for it. I've got my t-ring, I'm waiting on my t-adapter to come in so I can maybe take some moon shots.

9. amoebahydra

amoebahydra Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    I do not use a micro-4/3 to T-mount adapter directly but using a Canon EOS wide T-mount together with a micro-4/3 to Canon EOS adapter for using with telescope.

Insert Photos and Images

Attached Files:

10. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Thanks guys, looking forward to seeing your moon shots once you are all kitted up Djarum. Thanks for letting me see you kit amoebahydra, have you got any night sky shots that you can post? Would love to see them.

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    amoebahydra,

Thats another way of doing it.

Only complaint that I have about the t-ring I got was that while the threads are T-2, the ring has a depth of some 40mm. I suppose since t-2 technically has a flange distance of 55mm, thats why the ring is so deep. I'm worried about having enough in focus for my refractor.

12. amoebahydra

Jul 20, 2010
    T2 is very popular for astrophotography and is in fact the defacto standard for attaching camera. Most telescopes, unless intentionally restrict it from photography for marketing reason like the Coronado PST, should have at least 55-mm back focus for attaching 1-1/4" diagonal or camera. For those telescope that intend to use 2" diagonal, the backfocus should have at least 105mm.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm sure I have enough focus if I take the 2" diagonal off. I really didn't want to do that, even though that does take the mirror out of the optical path. I think for starters, as I haven't done prime photography, that it would be ergonmically easier to attach my PEN to the diagonal. When I get my t-2 to 1 1/4" adapter in, I'll take some pictures of the setup. Its supposed to be here Monday or Tuesday along with a few filters.

14. amoebahydra

Jul 20, 2010
    I would not take prime photography through any diagonal as the diagonal will unncessarily degrade image quality.

By the way, if you need extra back focus, attach a barlow and the situation will improve...