1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX6 to OMD -- pretty telling pictures, IMO

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Oct 22, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    These pictures of the NEX6 and OMD are pretty telling, IMO

Sony NEX-6 vs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Comparison

The cameras are ESSENTIALLY the same size, and pretty much speak to the state of the art in camera size.

Consider that the OMD has a much better dust reduction system and IBIS around the sensor, and I wonder that the sensor packages aren't the same size. So, the NEX6 gives you a slightly larger sensor, the OMD gives you goodies like IBIS and SSWF.

Then, the main other difference is the hump. Whereas the NEX6 gives you a nice EVF, the OMD gives you a stabilized EVF, even for moving shooting. So, the OMD EVF area needs more space. The NEX, of course, puts all the IS in the lens, so that's where the size there goes.

Maybe the slight thinness lead in the NEX6 body speaks to the shorter flange back distance, which has been both a strength for Sony (uses all lenses from just about anywhere) and weakness (tougher lens design for a larger sensor). The systems would be a lot closer if Sony could just find some lens engineers somewhere, lol.

To me, these pictures show just how close these systems really are and just what the trade-offs are, one to the other. It really raised my eyebrows when I clicked on the link.

2. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    super sonic wave filter (or something like that). It's Oly's branded dust reduction (unless they stopped using the branding). Oly's dust reduction is the best I've seen from any of the players.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Without intent to defend either system, I see both are unique and not necessarily comparable? NEX sensor is APS-C sized while E-M5 is m43. As such, NEX system is likely to be better now and in future if low-light and DOF are of your primary goals. On the other hand, m43 system is better now and likely in future if small size / lightweight, focusing speed, and lens selection [native & adapted w/ IBIS] are of your primary goals. I obviously assumed larger sensor equals larger lenses [and more expensive too?] but I could be wrong. One system is more ideal for some but not for all unfortunately. Competition brings the best of both systems, not to mention Panasonic and others, interesting [and confusing?] times ahead :(. Just 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It does seem like camera bodies have been miniaturized to the point where to go any further impacts ergonomics (if they haven't gone too far already?). Then it just comes down to what features you can cram into that body (e.g. IBIS, viewfinder, etc.) and that there will still be a tradeoff/size increase in lenses, for similar optical properties, as you go up in sensor size.

Sony did mention that they will be cooperating with Olympus on cameras... a Zuiko E mount lens or two wouldn't be so bad for the NEX system.

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    For the first part, as extensive testing and real life experience has shown thus far, the best (Sony made) :43: sensor is practically comparable in any IQ aspect with the best (Sony made :biggrin:) APS-C sensor. I'm not even going into the DOF consideration.

As for the second part, again, as the OP points out, there is really not very much of a difference, again in practical terms as far as total system size/weight is concerned.

At this point, both the latest from :43: and the NEX system are excelent choices. The main issue with NEX is whether lenses are, at some point, going to catch up with the bodies and sensors.

7. Shame about the typical NEX letterbox-slot LCD screen. On a positive note I'm glad to see Sony moving toward taller bodies. I think that cameras like the 3, 5, and 5N showed that just because you can make a body smaller, doesn't mean that you should.

8. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    What about the on sensor PDAF?

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It really depends where the comparisons take place. At higher ISOs I agree with you. But at low ISOs (ignoring the annoying fact that the E-M5 doesn't even have ISO 100), the NEX 7 files have more DR and far more detail. But a system is only as good as the whole and NEX doesn't have the lenses.

Potentially NEX can have shallower dof, but in the real world, with native lenses, it doesn't. Only the 50mm 1.8 betters m4/3. The Panasonic 12-35 has about these DOF as the upcoming Sony standard zoom at the long end and the 12m f2f is the same at the short end. And there's no answer tithe 45 1.8 or 75 1.8 at all in NEX, let alone the voigtlanders. You could go alternative or mount alpha lenses, but in native lenses there's no DOF advantages to NEX.

If Sony had announced a decent lens line for the NEX7 I wouldn't have bought an omd. But it will be years before Sony get their lenses in order. By then m43 will have a 20+ mph sensor and it will be all over for NEX.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I have to agree with all your points above Gordon. Also, having a 24Mp sensor available, is a worthy asset for a number of shooters.

In my experience with Canon crop-sensor cameras, the difference in DOF is not that significant, of course, always for my personal needs. Not to mention that most :43: lenses seem to be sharp enough to use wide open. I can see how a bit of extra DOF could be preferable for some people but, honestly, if that was a serious consideration, I'd probably shoot FF.

When I decided to move to mirrorless, my choices were :43:, Sony and Fuji. Only :43: already had the lenses as well as the potential to grow. Fuji is ahead of Sony now, I think, on the merit of great glass (both available and on pipeline). I sincerely hope the Sony/Olympus connection does something about NEX glass, because it would be a shame otherwise. As it stands, it's a somewhat handicapped system IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Agreed. Buying into a full system is a much harder decision than buying into a particular body / lenses. If I'm a happy full-time user of pro- or semi pro- FF or APSC system and just looking for occasional 1-body 1-lens system then NEX or FUJI or others can certainly be at top of the list. However, since I planned to be using this in years to come and is looking for a more complete mirrorless system, m43 makes more sense and going Sony and or other routes will just be too much risk not worth taking at present time, but then again I could be wrong but hey dont we all live & learn?

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No, not really. The EVF in the OM-D doesn't have its own stabilization mechanism, it's just showing the stabilized image from the sensor. So the EVF doesn't need more room. What does take up some room in the hump are the accelerometers for the 5-way IBIS. The Sony will have a stabilized EVF, too, when used with stabilized lenses.

And the size of the Sony lenses has little to do with IS. Look at some of Panasonic's OIS lenses, like the 14-45, 45-150 and 40-175. All are very small, even with IS. What makes the Sony lenses bigger is that they need to cover a larger image circle, and have to deal with a very, very short flange distance.

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Except that there's probably only 1 native lens that really has the resolution to take advantage of that sensor.

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yep, it's a real shame. I also have an a77 and coupled with a great lens it's amazing at low ISOs. But once you get to ISO 800 the E-M5 is very close and perhaps a bit better.

Gordon

15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes the letterbox LCD of the Nex is pretty inefficient like EPL series. The EM5 gets a 30% bigger image with an LCD a 0.25" higher.

What is causing Olympus quite a few design problems is the inclusion of the AP2 (usb) port. This exaggerates the hump on the EM5 and is probably the main reason the LCD screen has to be shorter on the EPM and EPL series.

Cant Oly find a way to get rid of it? For the EM5 its sole purpose is for the mini flash. Surely Oly can design a flash that works in the hotshoe?

Its other use is for the VF2 and VF3 view finder. But these viewfinders were really for Oly M43 cameras before they built in viewfinders. Hopefully an EP5 will have a built in viewfinder. Really an EPL5 at US$700+ plus a VF2 at US$230 doesnt make a lot of sense against an OMD.

16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    AFAIK, there are a couple of accessories that use the dedicated port: stereo microphone, macro lights and perhaps more in the future. Also, I've heard people using the VF-2 on the OM-D (obviously for being able to angle it up for certain shooting situations).

17. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Yeah i use the olympus stereo mic, i do a lot of time lapse instructional videos and such. The SEMA1 mic attachment was one of my first accessories

But it would not break my heart if they just put the MIC input into the body of the camera, then ditched the accessory port.

18. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    There are 4 native lenses by my count that can fully take advantage of the 24mp sensor's resolving capabilities:

-19mm f2.8 Sigma
    -24mm f2.8 Sony/Zeiss
    -30mm f2.8 Sigma
    -50mm f1.8 Sony OSS (this one is somewhat debateable but it my experience it was very good in use with the Nex-7 pixel peeping for detail/resolution.)

19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The only thing with the Sigma 19 (have not yet tried the 30) on the NEX-7, is that it has a pretty narrow sweet spot. Obviously depends on how you are using it, but if you want to maintain detail in the corners/borders, I have found that I need to stop down quite a bit.

In the slrlensreviews review, they show the 5N resolving more lines in the 19's borders except in the f5.6 to f8 range, where the NEX-7 barely wins. It seems like the Zeiss 24 handles the borders better.