NEX-7 or E-M5?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Adubo, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I've been waiting for the release of nex7 here in the Philippines but no word yet when it will come and i'm really eager to get te nex7 with the 16mm pancake and 24/1.8 zeiss because of the larger sensor it has great EVF and placement and its controls. Having that said i know lens selections are very minimal but i'd be okay with just the two lenses mentioned and since i have a couple of m43 bodies and lenses, native and legacy.

im fine to have only two lenses on the NEX system and get adapters for it along the way. Sensor performance (hi iso) and AF speed sold me with the nex7 (and some would argue but i find the camera very appealing to me as it is all black small and it doesnt have that SLR look)

Having that said, the e-m5 came along and without any proper controlled tests to look at, a lot of people are really impressed with the new oly sensor and ofcourse i can mount all my lenses in it.

So my question would be, what would you rather have? Without the issue on how much youre going to pay for it (nex7 with kit lens 18-55 and e-m5 with 12-50)

Im both cameras look great almost the same feature set (control dials tilt screen evf af speed) with some plus on the e-m5 as it has a better IS it can mount all my lenses its weather sealed and "newer" sensor technology

Thanks,

Andrew

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    We'll assume the NEX7 will still beat the E-M5 sensor wise.

I'm still going w/ the E-M5 because the lens offerings match what I want. Small and compact. The NEX lineup just doesn't appeal to me right now at all. And I want AF, so no adapted lenses, heh.

Now, if sony pulls a fuji with an awesome set of primes that are compactish and far better than the 16/2.8 offering.. I would seriously consider it, assuming starting from scratch.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Thanks Linh, whats important for me is the hi iso performance. Its all about the sensor that keeps me waiting for the nex7. Everything else is just bonus. Fuji xpro1's out of the question though. Fuji's marketing here in the Pi bumps up the price too much.

4. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    After yesterday's lovely hill walk I would definitely go for the Olympus. My G3 got soaked. I took precautions before I left by putting tape over the mic and speaker holes etc . But the conditions were more than a little moist. Even if I had taken my overpriced rain cover , it would have been drenched before I managed to wrestle it on !
    If I lived somewhere predominantly warm and dry I would go nex. But then , what about the dust !
    If the Olympus used the original pen sensor I would still opt for it over the Sony.
    My main pastime is winter walking in Scotland and Cumbria. Its wet here !

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    So you are willing to give up the "system" for weatherproofing. There will only be one weather sealed lens and only one other lens was announced for release later. It's not a cheap lens by a long shot. Without a matching weatherproof lens, a weatherproof body is useless. I often hear it said that the main issue with the NEX is the lack of lenses. In this case, you'll be limited to one lens with the possiblity of two in the future.

6. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    The weather proofing (although a nice addition) is only a bonus. Ill use the e-m5 mainly with an adapted lens or the yet to be bought nokton 25/0.95 lens. We only have wet and dry seasons here (thats it. Its either freakin hot or freakin wet) i

7. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    Your question was what would you rather have.
    As I don't own any nex I would not be changing system .
    And one lens is more than enough to lug around over a minimum 10 mile hill walk.

8. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    Forgive me . THE question was ! :)

9. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Im not changing systems. I want to compliment the gear that i already have in m43 and i use primes, i dont like changing lenses so 2-3 bodies are alright with me (since theyre light enough mot to burry the strap of my bag on my shoulders)

10. If you were talking about replacing your entire kit I might think a bit differently, but if it's in addition to what you currently have then maybe just get the NEX to give you something a bit different. Dealing with 24MP files doesn't excite me very much, though.

11. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    LOL. Yeah. As it is with the 12mp flies ofthe epl2/gf2 my HD's getting full. What more if i double it. :biggrin:

Yeah, no replacement here. I just want that sensor sony has. It looks and feels so right to me and my style of shooting

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's why I use MF glass. The glass is forever, regardless of the body.

The E-M5 is an unknown. We won't know about it until it's released. The NEX-7 has been very well reviewed and it's a high bar for the E-M5 to meet. The only downside to the NEX-7 has been availability. The floods in Thailand really set it back.

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You kind of answered your own question in the original post. You already have an m43 kit you're happy with, but are interested in the Nex 7 for the sensor and would be fully happy with just the 24 and 16mm lenses. So, why not just get that. I've had a Nex and m43 and have jettisoned the Nex and stayed with m43 (augmented by a couple of fixed focal length APS alternatives - X100, GXR-28). But as long as you understand the tradeoffs with the Nex (not many good lenses now or on the horizon, unless you really like zooms), the Nex 7 looks like a great camera body. I wouldn't want anything with 24mp - I'm not crazy about 16mp given how good the X100 and GXR are with 12mp, but if I need to go to 16 to get a better m43 sensor, I will.

One possible alternative though - the Nex7 plus the 24 wil already cost you over $2000 and the 16 will set you back another $2-300. Perhaps get an X-100 instead to cover the 35mm equivalent and get the Olympus 12mm f2.0 to cover the 24mm equivalent. You won't lose anything in low light with either, the X100 image quality and low light is certainly the equal of the Nex and the hybrid EVF/OVF is amazing. And the lens is a lot smaller than the Zeiss 24, even if the body is a little bit larger. And the 12mm 2.0 is a better lens than the Sony 16mm and will likely not cost you anything in low light even with current pen sensors because its a full stop faster than the Sony lens at f2.8 and the Nex 7 doesn't appear to be more than about a stop better than the current Pen sensors in low light. At worst, you'd be giving up half a stop.

Or, if you already have the Oly 12, you could get the X100 AND the OMD for about the same as the Nex setup and have a better low light combination.

Just food for thought - doesn't sound like you have bad options if you're ready to spend a couple of thousand bucks!

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hi Ray,

yeah, the x100 is, undoubtedly a great camera, i haven't handled it but i'm very skeptical with its AF speed as a lot of people on the net and reviews say that its not that fast (e-p1 speed, a friend of mine who owns both said)

the x100 costs about 55,500PHP and the olympus 12/2 costs at around 30,000PHP locally. nex7 with 18-55, i'm speculating around 60-65,000PHP... the 16/2.8 sony lens wouldn't cost that much as i found one that only costs 5,000PHP.

thats 15-20,000PHP extra if don't opt for the zeiss lens (which come to think of it, i can always use a 24mm MF glass on it with the awesome focus peaking feature)

lens brightness (aperture) doesnt bother me that much unless it gets really really dark (i shoot iso1600 95% of the time) so stopping down the lens is almost certain (but with super fast lenses like the FD 50/1.4 and the yet to be bought nokton 25, id prolly use it wide open more often than stopped down with the e-pl2)

i'm planning to use the e-pl2 with 14/2.5 gf2/e-p1 with samyang 7.5 and either the nex-7 or with MF primes/sony 16/2.8 or e-m5 with the nokton

i havent used an EVF for a while ( an optical one is mounted on my e-pl2) and would love to ahve a body with newer sensor and built in EVF

really? i've been only hearing high praises with the nex7 sensor compared to the panny g3 and canon's 600d

thanks Ray, i'll make sure to compare moer stuff and read/learn moer about the nex7 and its sensor... if that (the its only a stop better) is true, i might wait for more reviews of the e-m5 and consider more options

15. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I just sold my GH1 to get the "7" mostly for the sensor. Noise wise
    the 5N performs better and also accepts RF wide lenses without the
    magenta vignette issue that the 7 seems to have. For me I wanted
    more crop room when using my tele's. I will be reporting what I find.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    that would be awesome! awaiting your thoughts on this one :)

i dont mind the magenta stuf on wide RF lenses, as i normally shoot at 28 35 and 50

17. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Yeah, you can consider the OM-D E-M5 + X100 combo. I own an X100. Yeah it is slower in AF compare to E-P3 but it is manageable. And yeah, it's very good in handling high ISO and great image quality.

Buy the OM-D E-M5 and X100.

Actually, my plan is to buy the OM-D. X100 will handle the low light. OM-D E-M5 will handle the rest. :)

18. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well, if you're not planning to buy the Zeiss lens, that changes the equation completely and if you want to use manual focus lenses with the Sony that changes it completely again. If you like those focal lengths, that sounds like the ticket.

In terms of AF, I've read that the Sony isn't that fast either. I had a Nex5 and it was reliable but far from fast - I've read (but haven't experienced) that the Nex 5N and 7 are a bit faster, but still nowhere near the performance of the current generation of m43 cameras (which are VERY fast except with a couple of lenses). The X100 AF compares with the Nex 5 and is probably a bit better after the latest firmware upgrade. Its at least as fast as my Ricoh GXR. It seems to me that only m43 and the Nikon 1 system really have high speed AF together in terms of mirrorless cameras. Maybe its just that much tougher to do with the larger sensor. The other thing is that the way you can shoot with the OVF on the X100, to ME it makes AF speed much less important. I can always see the scene coming together beyond the framelines and pre-focus and then trigger the shutter at the last moment.

In terms of ISO, I was under the impression that the Nex 5n was very good at 3200 and still useable at 6400, but not much beyond, which I might be wrong about. The 7 isn't as good at 100% but when you downsize it to account for the extra 50% mp count, its pretty much as good as the 5n. If I'm wrong about that, apologies - I haven't shot with either. But the OMD promises to be about that good. The current Olympus sensor is good to 1600 imho and barely useable at 3200, so based on that I'm figuring about a stop to a stop and a half difference??? Again, all second hand on the Nex side - I might not be giving Sony enough credit.

But again, if you take the Zeiss 24mm out of the equation, its CLEARLY much less expensive to get the Nex with the kit zoom and 16mm than any of the other options I put forth.

Have fun with whatever you get. As a street shooter, I think you'll have a LOT of fun with the flip up screen on the Nex. That's where I fell in love with those screens and now Oly is doing them and the OLED touch-screen that flips on the OMD may be a another leap forward - I'll have to play with it and see.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Based on the samples I'm seeing, the OMD may handle the low light too, with a variety of lenses. But I don't think it'll ever quite match that silky IQ that the X100 turns out. For that you gotta spend the big bucks on the Fuji X-Pro... :cool:

-Ray

20. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I would echo what others have said... it sounds like NEX is a good plan given your focus on MF lenses. I would also say to check out the 5N instead. It seems to do better wide to wide-normal than the 7 for adapted lenses and it does apparently have better high ISO performance. You can save some money for more lenses and always get the external EVF for times you need that.