1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-7 - good E mount lenses?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by dhazeghi, May 1, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've been rereading photozone's reviews of various lenses on the NEX-7 and looking at samples this evening, and what's struck me is the massive resolution falloff between center and corners. Most of the lenses seem to be okay at the center, but with rare exception, the corners are displaying 30 or 40% less resolution.

On the other hand, there seem to be some happy NEX-7 users on this board. So my question is: do the lenses in fact offer decent performance, contrary to what the reviews suggest? By decent I mean comparable sharpness to the lower-cost m4/3 lenses we're familiar with, across the frame.

Thanks,

DH

2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    30% isn't a lot. If you take 25% linear resolution off an entire 24mp sensor. Then you get a 12mp. Which is what most Olympus pen users were used to.

Since you are taking only 30-40% off the corners, overall resolution is still higher than 12, probably higher than 16 but less than 24.

Since many people prefer high resolution to crop. It's not a really big issue as long as the center is sharp. I suspect that a 16mp crop of the Nex7 is probably sharper throughout the frame than the Nex5 with the same lenses.

It becomes a issue when you want the entire frame to be high resolution. I suspect that the Zeiss 24 1.8 probably performs much better. But that lenses hasn't been tested yet.

The bigger issue is the magenta fringing that comes with using wide or ultra wide rangefinder lenses, which makes it unusable at any resolution.

3. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The main use for the resolution that I've been told is landscapes. Seems like a waste if you're just going to have to crop down to 16MP. Might as well use an m4/3 or Samsung with a good lens in that case.

Excellent link, thanks.

Okay, so if I'm reading this correctly, the average resolution of the kit lens at 20mm is less than 2/3 of what the sensor is capable of (and the same goes for the 16/2.8)?

DH

4. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Only if you are printing large, once you downsize the image to your printing needs, then it doesn't matter if the corners are less sharp than the center.

Samsung also uses APSC sensors and have 20mp, not sure if their current lenses are better.

The NEX7 has a built in EVF, built in flash, hot shoe, small etc.... There are reasons to get this camera even if you don't need the high resolution. The sensor also has higher dynamic range than any other small format sensor.

Reason to go against Sony is not wasted megapixels, its that there are no native super wides and super wides with adapted lenses have the magenta problem, and Sony Alpha lenses make the combination ridiculously huge.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'm finding the 18-55 to be a bit better than the Olympus and Panasonic Kit Zooms and the 55-210 to be noticably better than the 40-150 Oly and 45-200 Panny. I have the 30mm macro and it's very sharp in the centre 2/3 of the frame. Corners do soften. The PL45mm is a better lens in every way though. The close focus distance of the NEX 30mm is almost unusable.

I don't have the Zeiss or the 16mm although the latter is supposed to be a lot like the 17mm Oly in performance.

There's certainly nothing except maybe the Zeiss that comes anywhere near the Oly primes.

Gordon

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    This is what I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. Did photozone just get a bunch of really bad samples, or is there something about testing the NEX-7 that produces odd results? I would have guessed the opposite from your findings given the comparative falloff in the tests of those lenses. With Nikon and 4/3 lenses in the past, I've found photozone to be pretty much spot on.

Very odd. At least I finally had a chance to try a NEX in the store, so I know what I'm missing camera-wise.

DH

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I've been looking seriously at the NEX 7, and funny enough, the only good lens choices seem to be the two Sigma's or an adapted Leica mount like on of the CV's.

I do wonder if Sony meant for the NEX 7 to be the best MF mount body, which I do think it is. It can pretty well mount any legacy lens, it's got a fantastic EVF, it has focus peaking and configurable dials. It's almost like some head honcho at Sony is a major photography buff and wanted a body for his legacy glass.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The NEX-7 is clearly targeted at enthusiasts. But for legacy lenses, the problems the NEX-7 has with wide apertures and focal lengths (in contrast to the NEX-5n) make me suspect that legacy lens suitability has been more by happy accident than by design.

DH

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I don't have the NEX-7 but for my NEX, I only have 3 lenses..

18-55 Kit..
    SEL 50mm ƒ1.8
    SEL 55-210