NEX-5n post firmware - focus on runnning kids

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by twmangrove, Jul 30, 2012.

1. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hell any 5n users,
    I'm wondering if there are any 5n users here who could relay their experience with this camera following the latest firmware update addressing AF. I understand this camera isn't that great for AF, or wasn't compared to Oly's offerings (P3/PM1/PL3 and OMD).
    I use the PM1 and am quite capable of capturing my little boy in mid stride. Is the AF on these two systems overly different (I use centre focus typically)?

Just curious.
    Thanks kindly

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    While I am sure anumber of us here are NEX users (I have a C3) you might get more responses over at our sister site TalkNEX.

3. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Thanks. I know about the site. Thought I'd try my luck here before registering there. I'd actually just finished reading your thread on the manual focus experience and IQ of the camera, which seems pretty stellar.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Okay cool. There are definitely a few of us here using NEX. As a MF platform it is really impressive. I don't have any native NEX lenses so I can't contribute much to your answer (sorry). When I get photos of my son moving with the NEX I just have to go old school and get the DOF deep enough and the shutter high enough. Of course that's why I have the GX1 around I suppose. :biggrin:

Good luck.

5. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    I don't think I'd have the desire to manual focus any action more extreme than a snail race.
    I thought I'd throw the question out there as my co-worker shoots a D7000 and I love the sensor and it's capability.