1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

News of u43 death seems greatly exaggerated

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by pdk42, Aug 19, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    With the GX7 announcement and leak of the imminent E-M1 release, it seems to me that u43 is consolidating its position as the widest and most capable mirrorless system around. I wonder if the nay-sayers will see it the same way?

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I agree, but then I'm not a nay-sayer! :biggrin:

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Buzz is one thing, sales are another. Most of the cynical discussion lately has been based on poor sales results. No question that Olympus and Panasonic have developed a fairly extensive system in a relatively short time. Olympus may have even plugged a few more gaps in the lens line-up if the existing 4/3 lenses work as well as promised on the EM1. I'm hoping that mu43 can survive on Asian markets alone and that NA and the EU can catch up at their leisure.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Great points.

No matter how enthusiastic we are about these new releases, we can't keep buying enough :43: cameras to keep the format rolling. Though we clearly will try. O & P will eventually have to sell to folks who are not compulsive gear heads. :wink:

5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Well, I've done my part, purchasing several Panasonic bodies and lenses over the past nine months. All but one body and one lens were new.

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I don't think any camera company has had great sales figures lately.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, but mirrorless are suffering more than DSLRs. Europe and North America are particularly bad in that respect.

8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Yes but... :smile:

The development of such SMALL cameras can't be expensive, so... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

9. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

That being said - - - where do you suppose Olympus sales would be right now if they continued on a course of trying to compete with Nikon and Canon and now Sony - in the DSLR world. They would never be a big player and were already losing ground and loyalty with Olympus users and pros, switching to full frame.

Even if Olympus had produced a full frame camera (as so many were hoping), is it reasonable to think that other than a few die hard Olympus fans, that many would buy into the system and start fresh with new lenses? I'd think their best chance at survival is doing what they have done - work at maturing a niche market like micro 4/3. For all of us with investments in 4/3 lenses, all we are needing is a functional body that we can continue to use them on right?

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Absolutely. The FF market is not big enough for Olympus to share with Nikon and Canon. The question is whether the niche they have aimed at is big enough for them to make money making cameras.

11. ejackso1

ejackso1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    I personally don't think they're doing enough to appeal to the gearheads.

I was recently in the market for a compact DSLR replacement and ended up buying a used Panasonic GF1 because it seems like with every subsequent version of the GF they take away more buttons. I don't think the next GF camera will even have a shutter button, you'll probably have to use the touch screen for that as well. :rolleyes:

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The GF line was modified after the 1 to have more mass-market appeal, but I don't think it gained any traction (in the US at least).

13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You might be looking at the wrong line. The GX is what you want. And that's one of the strengths of m4/3, there's a huge variety of bodies for every need.

14. ejackso1

ejackso1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Yeah, I actually didn't realize the GX1 existed until I had already pulled the trigger on the GF1. I got a great deal on the GF1, so I don't really mind though. As for the GX7, it's going to be WAY out of my price range.

15. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I'm a huge fan of the format particularly due to the lens selection (now expanding to 4/3 with the new olympus) and compact size. In the past I've only owned Panasonic bodies and in particular the GH2 I believe it's hybrid abilities and near perfect ergonomics really kept me in love with the format. However at some point I saw some videos and super low shutter speed photos using Olympus's 5-axis ibis and fell in love. Sold the GH2 and got an OMD only to see gaps between the 2 companies that frustrate me as a consumer.

1. Olympus great for pictures, doesn't fully leverage IBIS for video
    (codec that breaks apart, horrible autofocus, no ability to change settings on the fly, no way to set custom settings to a dial or button for video without deep menu clicks)
    2. Panasonic is great for video with PERFECT bodies, almost as good with pictures except:
    (no 5-axis ibis which is MAGICAL for videos more so than photos, colors are rough with Panasonic)
    3. Odd behavioral differences on lenses between vendors. My Panasonic lenses are noiser on Oly's. My FAVORITE lens (P20) is sadly MUCH slower on my OMD than GH2 to the point I keep a GX1 with the 20mm glued on it so I get the performance.
    4. Panasonic is WORLDS ahead of Olympus on ergonomics and menu system. I can quickly change anything I want with the GH / GX series cameras even during video along with presets I can get to by dial. Years of complaints from users Olympus hasn't really addressed this (still need several menu clicks for a lot of basics).
    5. Panasonic just released the GX7 which has IBIS that doesn't work in video which keeps me hoping Olympus gets video right.

I feel like the APS-C world is innovating faster and will likely win me over if the next Olympus is not up to snuff with video. I know it seems most of us here don't shoot video but for me that's super important. I particularly have my eyes on the next Sony NEX 7 which is to have Olympus 5-axis IBIS (yep, Sony before Panasonic) and also waiting to see the next Sony Alpha (APS-C and Full Frame) cameras to come which are supposed to have a newer sensor than current M43 and even Nikon D600/800. If those bodies show up with IBIS too (should be mirrorless coming up), I know Sony does video codecs right and I'll have to think long and hard where I keep my $ invested (I can use Sony APS-C and Full Frame together like Nikon does by cropping sensor which is really nice if I get a FF body). I think the rapidly growing / innovating APS-C market is going to make it rough for M43. The legacy (legacy to me b/c they have a mirror) Canikon is pushing hard and Sony, Fuji, and Samsung innovating pretty rapidly. Along with the lenses (which I'm finding I can fit my needs in other systems) M43's secret sauce is the 5-axis ibis and Panasonic's commitment to video. If they don't find a way to get this all together in 1 package rather than 1 company owning each is a mistake for me. If Olympus and Panasonic are truly struggling with sales, get it together and take the best the system has to offer and give us a body that delivers that. GX7 was so close, l'm hoping EM-1 nails it.

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Stripedrex - I think you're making some good points here, but in the final analysis, no camera system is perfect:

- Sony Nex - clunky design & looks and still a fairly narrow lens selection. Their menu system makes Oly's look well designed!

- Sony Alpha - ditto, just larger !

- Fuji X - AF still below par and cameras lack responsiveness of u43.

- Canon - still no competitive mirrorless offering. FF/APSC bodies great but big.

- Nikon - V series has some really nice features (esp video), but IQ not up to u43. Narrow lens choice. FX/DX bodies great but big.

I'm sure the GX7 and E-M1 will meet 99% of the needs of their purchasers. If hard core video and hard core stills are one's need, then having two bodies is not unreasonable - esp if they share lenses.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    At ISO 200 you're saying the IQ is not up to MFT par :confused:

18. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yes, at least in theory, for the same reasons that MFT is still not quite up to larger formats. In practice both the V series and MFT are more than adequate for the majority of users, regardless of how larger formats perform. :smile:

19. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    We have at least a couple of years. Then just think how cheap all the m43s gear will be. Kind of like Canon FD stuff. :)