1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Newport Yacht Restoration School...

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alanroseman, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    This is twice this week.

As previously stated, I'm trying very hard to make note of what I see everyday, it's forcing me to "notice" the things around me. I'm very fortunate to have a wide variety of subjects presented to me everyday. The GF1 and the 20mm make it perfectly simple to document my workday travels. Thankfully my clients are understanding and indulge my snaps....

Earlier this week I posted the "pro shoot", a regular client visit for me. Today I was in Newport at the NYRS. Newport Yacht restoration School. Here the students learn to.... Restore Yachts.

As a project each student will build CAT boat, a familiar design to all sailors. here you see the workshop where the students both restore, and build their "project boat".

Coming soon exclusive views of the Restoration of the Schooner Coronet, form 1885. Being restored via help from the Newport Art museum.

The gallery is here: Newport. NYRS & Coronet - Mu-43 Gallery

Thanks for looking... Alan

All GF1 / 20mm hand held. PP- Aperture 3

Cats_Sail.

Single_Cat_Boat.

Cats_Down_Right.

Close_Bow.

Restored_Sail.

Cats_Down_Left.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

It is wonderful to see that they are still making wooden boats, dinghies or whatever one wants to call them....and....the photography is just amazingly sharp and bright. Thanks so much for these!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Bill,

These are a very traditional style known as Cat Boats, Beatle Cats.

Thanks for the kind words, nice to know I'm not boring "everyone" to tears..

4. Bruster

Bruster Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 14, 2011
    In another life I would have loved to work with my hands. Very inspiring images.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nice Alan. Boats are special ... handcrafted items are special ... when combined magic occurs. #3 is my fav.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Gary,

Thanks. I truly appreciate your looking, and the input is especially appreciated!

Cheers, Alan

7. cbrock

cbrock Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    These are great, esp 3 and 4.

I would love to own an old mahogany or teak boat some day, but they are a lot of work to keep up, but are very beautiful works of art. I grew up where they used to make ChrisCraft and Slickcraft boats, which switched over to fiberglass. Slickcraft is now defunct, but the former owner opened up Tiara and S2.

There is still a wooden boat maker called Grand Craft, who makes beautiful runabouts. Grand-Craft, Builders of Fine Mahogany Boats

I may have to go check them out now and see if I can take some photos there.

Sorry, don't mean to take over your thread, but boats are one of my other passions. I spent about 150 hours restoring an 1971 Slickcraft 235 a few years ago. Literally a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You aren't taking over the thread... you're making the post fun and worthwhile!

I'm always happy when something I shoot provides enjoyment and I heartily encourage you to go down to the boat builder and knock on the door...

Don't forget your camera :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    What a cool place! I could spend some serious time in that shop!

• Like Like x 1
  10. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Being a Rhode Islander, at least growing up, I had the pleasure of having a father who was an avid sailor. He purchased at Cat Boat made after the hurricane in the 1930's in RI from oak and teak. Although the boat was heavy, it sailed smoothly..with gaf rigging and coming in at 32 ft in length sleeping six. We spent months each summer sailing in and around Narragansett Bay and Block Island. He was also the Chief Petty Officer in charge of the Naval Base on Jamestown and we spent many nights berthed in there.

The Cat had been abandoned and left to rot when my Dad purchased it and then spent over two years rebuilding and refitting it. My Mom made the sails herself cutting them from canvas on our front lawn and sewing them on her Singer Machine in our basement.

Your pictures bring back great memories and I am especially happy to see that the legacy of these boats continue..they were first used as fast boats...lite sloops for the transportation of goods up and down the coast during and before the Civil War. Under sail they are spectacular! Although nowhere near as fast as today's fiberglass sailboats.

Thank you for posting them and for giving me a chance to remember those good old days!
    Karen

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    The pleasure is all mine!

12. Thanks for your pics, Alan. It's cool to see how the individual planks are cut and arranged to form the three-dimensional boat hull and I love all the manual tools being used. Everything seems so haphazard and chaotic. No two boats look like they are being constructed in the same order.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Very interestng pics! Thanks a lot!

Pitty one cannot capture the smell, I imagine the wood mixed with tools and a touch of paint/laquer is very characteristic and really put one into the atmosphere :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Nic,

Behind this is an even larger boat shed, the size of a small airplane hanger, in which they are restoring the Schooner Coronet which was built in 1885.

I shot that too, but the scope of it is so large that it will be a difficult set to edit.

Thanks for looking, Alan

15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Kytra,

You know, perhaps instead of HDR & 3D we should be working on incorporating some "smell" into the photography.... :smile:

Thanks for looking, Alan

16. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Your images really capture the character of such a work space, brings back recollections of my grandfather and his workshop (although the scale here is much larger!).

Nice stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks Brian,

I appreciate the kind words..and I'm glad it returned some fond memories for you..

18. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    Boats (sailboats in particular) are such lovely things. Thanks for reminding me of the many years messing about with a Coronado 25 (clorox bottle) while envying the wooden boats.

PapaDee

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    BINGO!! Yes, the smell of that wood!!

20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

I'm quite pleased that I was able to capture the scene to the extent that you guys could almost smell the wood and glue...

I take it as great compliment. Sometimes I stand around looking at a scene, and can't quite determine how I might capture the essence of it...

Like the revolutionary cemetery that I posted previously. I tried every which way, on two different occasions to get a shot that exemplified the "feel" of the place. It was very frustrating, I finally settled on that one close up shot with a portion of the flag in B&W...

This shoot worked out somewhat better..

Thanks again for the nice words.

Alan