1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Newport, Rhode Island

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by MikeR_GF1, Sep 13, 2013.

1. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I'll have a few days in Newport, RI, in a few weeks, while my wife attends a conference. Aside from the well trodden tourist sites, I wonder if anyone could suggest some interesting areas to walk and explore?

Thanks.

2. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Anyone?

3. ri toast

ri toast New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2013
    about Newport

Newport is nice, what exactly are you looking to shoot? I'm guessing landscape, seascape, beaches.....maybe the cliffwalk and some mansions. If you decide to shoot wildlife I have a few ideas but you'll need big lenses. I'm in Northern RI (not that it's a large place mind you) Hawk migration is underway but I think the osprey are still at the great swamp.
    Heading west out of Newport will bring you into South County, east will take you to Cape Cod, Ten miles south of Provincetown in Turro is where the dunes are 100 feet tall.
    Good photos are where you take them, they are everywhere.

It took a long time for me to straighten out my activation problem. I did try to reply when you first posted. Let me know how to direct you.

feel free to pm me

4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  5. ri toast

ri toast New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2013
    consider also

block island ferry takes you right by that landmark.

6. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Hey, thanks.

I'll be there in about a month. Since I'm a photo opportunity omnivore, there's no particular area I would want to concentrate solely on. I'd be interested in hearing what YOU find interesting. I find that's a great way to see things that the usual and customary guides miss.

Block Island ferry sounds like it could be fun. I like ferries - they're sort of tour cruises on the cheap. I often take more pictures inside than outside.

7. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Your photo sold me. I'll give it a go.