1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newly born OM-D M-E5 Mark II searches for polygamic relationship with 2 or 3 lenses.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sellera, Jul 28, 2016.

1. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    Hello, mates!

I’m a 41 y/o Brazilian lawyer who has shot film for most of his life, first with an Olympus PEN, later with a Pentax ME SLR with a 50mm M 1.4 SMC lens, Japanese version. Transition to digital was delayed until I couldn’t find film to shot.

The logical step was to buy a DSLR. Since gear here is too expensive, I’ve saved enough for a brand new Nikon D5200, bought 3 years ago, with the 18-55 kit lens. I’ve also added a 35mm 1.8G and a 70-300 VR to my lenses, and since then, I’ve been switching between the 35 and the 70-300, in a 70%-30% ratio.

I love my setup – I’m no pro; photography for me is not a career, just a hobby that I like a lot. Until now, post-processing, if needed, was briefly made via LR, just to correct shadows, light and exposure. The APS-C on the D5200 is good enough for my shots, and I tend to print little to none of the final results. Don’t get me wrong – it was all going well until August 2015, when I fall in love with a little camera recently launched, the OM-D E-M10 II.

Since then, I’ve been reading a lot, both here and in DPreview, trying to learn the most about this new – at least for me – mirrorless technology. I’ve started to save again, this time to buy an E-M10 II, with the kit lens (14-42), the affordable 40-150 R zoom and the 17mm 1.8 prime. The more I read, the more I fall in love.

As I’ve stated before, gear in Brazil is too expensive and our Olympus branch, for unknown reasons, doesn’t sell photographical stuff here. So I decided to travel to US, spend a week having some fun in Florida, and return with a brand new E-M10 II! But life had other plans for me…

I ended up earning some more money and start considering M10’s bigger sister, the O-MD E-M5 II. Weather sealing, full magnesium alloy body, 40MP multi exposure – wow! Weather sealing itself had me, as I live in a city by the sea, with a high humidity index, and sand, a lot of sand.

So, to the forum again – this time to learn more about the E-M5 II! I have to admit, choosing the body was easy breezy, the real struggle lies on the glass. As my trip is scheduled to November only, I’ve changed my mind so many times that I’m losing it! Ergo, here are the options I’m willing to buy, both at the same price – almost!

Olympus OM-D E-M5 II + 12-40 2.8 PRO lenses + 40-150 R zoom + ECG-2 grip:

I’m fascinated by the construction and sharpness of the PRO lens and I’m pretty sure it would stay 90% of the time attached to my M5 II. But then I remember the ratio to film (24-80, 5.6) and I realize I’d get almost none DOF and bokeh, and the plot start to thick. Every review of the PRO states that, too. Plus, I really love the speed and size of prime lenses – but size is not a decision factor for me.

The 40-150 R is a no brainer: with almost all the budget spent on the M5 II and the PRO, the hundred dollar zoom is the way to go, even if it doesn’t have weather seal. Besides, if it lasts for a year or two, the money would be well spent.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 II + Olympus Travel Kit (14-150 II 4-5.6 + 17mm 1.8 + hoods and pouches) + ECG-2 grip.

So, as I’ve said two paragraphs before, I love prime lenses, and this soon-to-be-launched Travel Kit has just the one I was looking for, the 17mm 1.8, bundled with a 14-150 all-range lens – the latter is even weather sealed. I know it’s not as sharp as the 12-40 PRO, but the range is versatile enough for the everyday use. The bundle is being sold with almost US$ 200 discount, comparing to the standalone versions of the lenses. Plus, they both come with the original Olympus hoods and pouches.

So, now you all know my story and my struggles, I’d really like some advice on the above options. Which one should I choose?

Other suggestions are more than welcome, as long they don’t break my bank.

Some other related questions:

Are the Hoya’s PRO CPLs and NDs still at the top of the benefit-cost ratio? I’ve been using them on the D5200 with no issues and excellent results.

Is the larger eyecup for the E-M5 II, the EP-16, really superior to the one shipped with the camera? I’ve read that it’s better for those who, like me, wear glasses.

I’m planning to use my old Pentax M 50mm 1.4 SMC with a Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter K to M43 mount. I’m no stranger to manual mode and manual focus, and I guess it would be an amazing portrait lens (100mm). But I’m worried that the Amazon reviews shows mixed opinions. Anyone has something on that?

Thank you very much and please excuse my somewhat broken English!

Luciano Sellera

TL;DR: I NEED HELP CHOOSING GLASSES AND OTHER STUFF FOR MY OM-D E-M5 II.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi & Welcome!
    I don't use K mount, but I have a Fotodiox adapter (for m42) and there's nothing wrong with it.

What do you shoot? E.g. Do you need high shutter speeds and shallow DoF, and for what kinds of subjects?

Do you still have the Pen?

• Like Like x 1
  3. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    Thank you, Barry!

Yeah, I guess for 20 bucks I'll give it a try.

With the Nikon, I shoot a lot of things, both outdoors and indoors, but manly people unaware, and a lot of times, from some distance. I also love mu 35mm 1.8, for day & night street photography.

Yes, I do! It's a little rusty and need some cleaning, but it's working.

Thank you again for bothering to answer!

Kind regards,

LS

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    The lenses like 12-40 you would get for sharpness and WR, not DOF.
    Its difficult to make a recommendation because everybody likes different things. Some people like primes, some people like zooms. What kind of things do you like to photograph? I prefer the wide to normal range and don't really use longer lenses much, so for me 12-40 or 12-35 would be better. Your Pentax 50mm will work well, but not as good/sharp as modern lenses like Olympus 45mm/1.8.
    Fotodiox makes a copy of Olympus grip that is pretty good and cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  5. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    During the day, I strongly prefer a zoom and almost always use my 12-40mm for Street. I'm starting to find it too short though so (if I'm carrying more lenses) sometimes I switch to an adapted 70mm or the 40-150R.
    A 14-140mm or maybe the rumored 12-100/4 would be more convenient, but would be too slow for evening & night & indoors (and so is the 40-150R).

At night, I usually use the Oly 17/1.8 or 45/1.8.

If you want a tele zoom for evening/night use, there are only a few native choices with widish (f2.8) apertures:
    Oly 40-150/2.8 Pro (sealed)
    Pana 35-100/2.8 (sealed, iirc)

Non-zooms:
    Oly 75/1.8 (not sealed, fairly expensive)
    Manual-focus 85mm or 105mm primes ('native' Rokinon etc. or adapted; fairly large & expensive)

And some adapted 4/3 options, but you'd need to get an E-M1 instead for PDAF (the E-M1 should be about the same price as the E-M5 II, esp. for used or refurbished), and an MMF-3 adapter (weather sealed):
    Oly 4/3 50-200/2.8-3.5 (SWD preferred)(sealed). Note this is much cheaper than the 2.8 tele lenses above.
    Oly 4/3 150/2 (sealed)
    Oly 4/3 12-60/2.8-4.0 (sealed). Cheap.
    Oly 4/3 14-54/2.8-3.5? Cheap.

All of the fast teles are roughly the same size except the 35-100 which is considerably smaller (soda-can sized iirc). I'm not certain how that compares to your 70-300 VR and what you're looking for sizewise and pricewise.
    You could always get the 40-150R for now and something faster later.

Since you still have the Pen, I'd suggest getting an adapter for it's lenses... should be cheap.
    Since you love your 35mm, you may want to get a 25mm; there are several choices. Note Oly will be coming out with an 25/1.2, probably weather sealed.
    But I'd try adapting your prime lenses first and see which FLs you like.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  6. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    Yes, I know. We can't have it all bundled together in on lens :)

I'm like you, a wide to normal range guy, that's why I liked the 12-40 a lot. But I also like to be prepared for a long shot, and the 40-150, for a hundred bucks, is a steal! And I have a soft for primes, specially the wider ones, like the 12/2 and the 17/1.8.

I've just found out that this lens needs a 110 dollars repair. I think I'll abort the idea, unfortunately.

Thank you! Less than 30% of the ECG-2 price! Great tip!

LS

7. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    Yeah, I guess I'll keep the 12-40 + 1 PRIME (45 1.8, perhaps) + 40-150 R (for clear days)

I'll try to use the 12-40 + 45 1.8!

For now, out of my budget. I'm squeezing to get the prime along with the camera and the 12-40 + 40-150.

She's like a fat lady on steroids: fast & sharp, but also bulky & heavy.

That's exactly my plan, Barry!

My Pen is the EES2 and her lens is not removable. :(

Wow - 1.2. As I'll only travel by November, I'll wait!

I took her to the repair shop and the budget request was around R$ 380,00 (around 130 US$). Totally a deal-breaker, so I took her home and will retire her with honors.

LS

8. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Ok, you can probably find another Pentax 50mm for less... they sell here for under $100USD for the m42 f1.4 versions.
    But you won't need it if you get a 45mm or 42mm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Welcome to the forum.
    I love your energy and enthusiasm, but don't have any tips / thought about your setup.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    That's exactly what I thought when they told me how much would it be to fix her completely!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

11. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    Why, thank you, mate. I'm sure someday we'll have something to debate together.

LS

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Your proposed starter kit, with the 12-40 Pro, 17 f1.8, and 40-150 R, is a great way to start. I have those lenses, and agree that the 12-40 tends to stay on your camera much of the time. When you need some telephoto, the 40-150 R fills in nicely, and the 17 would be good for street in low light or indoor shooting. I've used the 12-40 at night under lights and it does well with the OMD's superb IBIS. There's also the Panasonic 20 f1.7 to consider instead of the Oly 17. A little slow to focus, but most say it's sharper.

There's a rumor that Olympus will introduce a 12-100 f4 Pro lens. While that spans a great range, it'd be a little slow at f4. It would be weather sealed though. The 45 f1.8 or the Panasonic 42.5 f1.7 is worth considering if you plan to shoot street and portraits.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    I'm really glad I'm on the right track, and I have you all to thank for!

I really like her, but her AF motor noise bothers me. If I ever user her to shoot night videos, this would be a deal breaker!

Yes, I've heard that too. As I'm leaving only in November, if anything changes I'll ask again for some help :)

14. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I'm moving to Brazil in 5 weeks, and this is the setup I wish I was bringing for my E-M10 II. The 40-150R it the only one I have and is small and light and has not disappointed so far. I'd like to replace it with the 14-150, but don't think it will happen. At the price the 40-150R is, don't pass it up.

Don't neglect extra batteries. I was shocked at how fast mine chews through a battery. I'd get at least 2-4extras.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    My thoughts exactly!! The 40-150 will be a great companion to the 12-40 PRO, even if the former isn't weather sealed -- for a hundred bucks, it's a steal!!

Great tip, I was wondering the same. Maybe I'll bring back an extra couple!

Just curious: where in Brazil are you moving to?

Date the body, marry the lenses.

16. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    We are moving to Campinas for language school for a year and then to Northern Brazil (Itaituba, Para).

Edit: I love your quote! I've been dating lenses and marrying the body. I think I need to flip my thinking b

• Like Like x 1
  17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Lens choice is very personal and heavily dependent on what you shoot. I'm lucky to have a few lenses in my kit - most of which i have acquired used. For me, I find zooms excellent for landscapes and general daytime use. If you do a lot of this, then getting a wide- standard zoom is the best initial plan.

There is no shortage of choice for such lenses in the u43 world with everything from cheap kit lenses through to higher end f2.8 ones. Most deliver respectable performance but If you can afford it, I'd definitely say get one of the 2.8 variants - either the Olympus 12-40 or the Panasonic 12-35. There's very little to choose between them.

For non-studio people shots you'll want something with better DOF separation capability. The 45/1.8 is hard to beat at the price.

The 40-150 R is quite a lens for the price, but don't expect miracles from it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    For me, the 12-40 2.8 + the 40-150 R would be my choice because I shoot wide *much* more often than telephoto so I want a quality wide-normal zoom and an acceptable tele zoom. The 12-40 2.8 is on my camera most of the time.

Just like everyone else has said, it really depends on your style and preferences more than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  19. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2013
    I have the 14-150mm (but a Mk1) as well as the 12-40mm. Most of the time I use the PRO lens, and regard the 14-150 as a travel lens. Certainly for a first off the 12-40 and 40-150R.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Mu-43 app

• Like Like x 1
  20. sellera

sellera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    Santos, SP - Brazil
    Campinas is a very nice city, a big one, but with a cozy small city feeling, I think you will like it. Once there, you are 2h from my hometown, Santos!

santos.

Above: Santos, SP (picture not taken by me).

LS

• Like Like x 1