Newly acquired Novatron 1000VR studio flashes

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by DoofClenas, Jun 1, 2015.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I just acquired a lightly used Novatron 1000VR two light kit. If I buy a household plug to miniphone adaptor to plug into my Cactus V5 triggers, it should be all that I need to get it to work, right? I fired them up this weekend and they seemed to work just fine by pressing the test button on the power supply. The bottom shows the issue...I have two male PC sync cords.

By the way, the kit was free ;-)

IMG_1874.JPG Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 3.31.45 PM. IMG_1888.JPG

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, HH to miniphone plug should do the trick. They are very simple and low tech connectors. Your E-M1 has a PC sync port, but I know some of those Novatrons sport high voltage sync, so I would not connect it directly.

I had one of those kits maybe 5 years ago. Pretty fun to play with, but a little more challenging to use due to the limited light control. You end up using aperture, ISO and flash placement to control the output, not the flash pack. Works good in a studio, but does limit creativity a tiny bit.

Are those some optical slaves in the orange/yellow plastic in the first picture? If so, that's another way to trigger it via a low powered on-camera flash pop.

3. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    The orange things are two spring clamps, the yellow thing is an extra modeling bulb. I also got a roll of 6' x 8' gray muslin (in perfect condition).

I plan on using them for the few product shoots I do each year (wine bottles and soap). I'm currently using a hodge podge of continuous flouresent lights and my fl-36's and FL600's. This should be a big upgrade for me. All for the price of a $17 adaptor. Amazing what you'll find laying around the corner of your office (work) just collecting dust. We used to use them to shoot the print pieces we designed for our marketing department.

4. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Ok...
    I bought the adaptor plug, and at first I thought it was going to work. I plugged the sync cord into the V5 and set it to receive. I then grabbed my other V5 and set it to transmit. Both V5's, were set to channel 1. Pressed the test button on the transmitter unit...flashes fire.

Then I mount the transmitter on my em1. Set the camera to flash...no go.

I then grabbed my fl600 and disconnected the unit on the novatron and mounted the fl600 to it. Press the shutter...and it fires.

Thoughts?