Newer E-PL models maximum sync speed over 1/160 in manual mode?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by New Daddy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I think I've had it with the 1/160 maximum flash sync speed of my Pannys. Unlike Olys, there is no getting around it. So, I'm thinking of buying an Oly for use in daylight, off-camera strobe shooting. (Because I do wireless, off-camera, even FP or HSS will not work with my Pannys. The only solution is to use an Oly body and an external flash in manual or auto mode.)

I've read in other threads that earlier Olys can go beyond 1/160 in manual flash mode. Do newer E-PL (E-PL2, E-PL3) or E-PM do the same?

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    My E-PM1 (E-PL3 should be the same) syncs perfectly at 1/320s (4:3 aspect ratio) and 1/400s (16:9 aspect ratio) with non-TTL flashes, e.g. Nikon SB-30. If you attach a TTL flash then you're limited to 1/160s unless you tape off two contacts so the flash is not recognized by Oly as TTL. Not sure if it will work the same wirelessly...
    E-PL2 has a different shutter and syncs perfectly at 1/400s (vs. 1/320s for E-PM1) and 1/500s in 16:9.
    I use flash outdoors all the time when shooting wide-open with ND filters. E.g., shooting with Panny 20mm at f1.7-2 in the sun with ND8 (3 stop filter) will often give me 1/500s-1/400s shutter speed so I can use flash with only 3-stop output loss unlike FP-mode which reduces the range far more drastically.
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Some of the Pens will do manual HSS (high speed sync) mode, however the range is simply woeful, in my personal opinion. A few meters at best. Plus there is a significant addition to the shutter lag when shooting off camera HSS. The simple solution is to get a three stop ND filter (or even a polariser) and use that to lower the amount of ambient light hitting the sensor. Then you can still have OCF and blast away as normal.

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    This FP TTL AUTO problem of limited flash distance is common to all makes and models of cameras and flashes I've used, not only the PEN's. The Nikon iTTL fare's no better.
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    My E-P2 sync's at 1/180 in TTL AUTO, 1/320 in regular (old fashion auto)