Neweer Ring Light, first impressions...PICS added.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-48-L...&sr=8-1&keywords=NEEWER®+Macro+Ring+LED+Light

Impressed, very.
    Quallity, excellent for the pittance that it cost.
    Only gripe thus far is the battery sliding cover, a little on the thin side, felt it might crack when sliding it open….but it did not.

It’s bigger than it seems in the video, but not too big for a EM1/60mm combo.

My main worry was the weight of it hanging on the front of the ‘dainty’ 60mm, anyone who has one will know what I mean.

It’s very light, the ring, and is no problem on the end of the lens, I bought a step-up ring, 46/49, at the same time.

Technical stuff….

http://www.calculator.org/calculate-.../exposure.aspx

http://www.43rumors.com/micro-four-t...ugene-kitsios/

Subject in bright daylight, no shadows.

Recommended exposure @ ISO 200 is 1/1000 @ f4 (f4 suitable aperture for M4/3 Macro)

Exposure with Ring Light on (both halves on) @ at magnifications from 1:4 to 1:1 @ ISO 2OO was 1/200 @ f4.
    This was with NO room lighting on, just the RL.

Exposure for the ambient room lighting, no RL, @ ISO 640 was 1/125 @ f2.8.

Conclusions, a little fuzzy ant the moment.

On the face of it, it seems underpowered by in excess of 2 stops and wouldn’t be a lot of use on a bright sunny day except for perhaps filling some shadows, it would balance the daylight very nicely I would think.
    On a dull day, well that would be a different story, correctly exposed subjects and underexposed backgrounds…..I hate that.

Pick the bones out of this, but please don’t shoot the messenger.

Any errors please let me know.

Will it go back to Amamzon………90% no…..10% yes, the NO is getting bigger by the minute….$34/£28…what’s not to like....EDIT It's not going back...!

It might look cumbersome, heavy and unmageable.........i'ts NOT.....All up, with batteries it weighs ion at 990gms.

IMG_0215-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Overhead room lighting only. ISO 200, Magnification 1:4, distance..front of ring to object 8.25"..1/2 sec @ f4

PC180235-Anbient by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Ringlight, both halves switched on. ISO 200, Magnification 1:4, distance..front of ring to object 8.25"..1/250 sec @ f4

PC180236-RS-4 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Ringlight, both halves switched on. ISO 200, Magnification 1:2, distance..front of ring to object 4.50"..1/400 sec @ f4

PC180237-RS-2 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Ringlight, both halves switched on. ISO 200, Magnification 1:1, distance..front of ring to object 2.00"..1/250 sec @ f4

PC180238-RS-1 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    Samples!

3. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Please show us a picture of your setup.

Thanks,

John S.

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the info. I'd love to see some samples.

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Pics added