1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Newby Needing Advice on the BEST 2 lens kit!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by damienangel, Jul 18, 2012.

1. damienangel

damienangel New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Kentucky
    Hello everyone, I am pretty new to forums in general and a new user on Mu-43 as of today so please forgive me if I failed at finding this exact thread somewhere else. However, I am in a particularly interesting situation. My 5dMkII was stolen last week along with all my accessories (most of them anyway) and so I took this as an opportunity to start anew with a MFT setup. Lucky for my my insurance is covering most everything but if I dont spend a similar amount on the new equipment as my old equipment was worth I will be out a lot of money as they will only pay out a certain amount (those of you who have been through this before know what I'm going through). Anyway, that means I need to replace my 2 l-series lenses with lenses of similar cost or else I will essentially lose the difference. If you all could give me a suggestion on a 2 lens kit that has two good lenses (they do not have to be native as i do not particularly care about their size and i do not mind to us a converter) that will run between 800 and 1200 a piece that would be great! I am still woefully ignorant of what all is out there seeing how I was sucked into the vortex of DSLRs for so long. Oh yea, and I will using a new Oly OMD body. thank you all for your help!!!

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    If you can wait a bit, Panasonic 12-35 (available now/soon) and Panasonic 35-100 (not yet available).

Otherwise, Panasonic 12-35 and a prime like the Olympus 45, or a telezoom like the Panasonic 45-175/45-200.

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    What L lenses did you have before? The new Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 would probably be a pretty good choice for one of them assuming you had a L zoom before, like the 24-70.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The 7-14 is an excellent option, I hear. What kind of insurance covers your cameras?

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It would help a lot of you gave us some idea of what you want to do with the lenses, or what focal length your L lenses were.

The new Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 is an excellent zoom, and available for pre-order in the US, and actual order from Asia. And quite expensive.

The Panasonic 7-14 is also very good, and pretty expensive.

The Oly 12mm f/2 and 75mm f/1.8 are expensive, and very good. As are the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 and 25mm f/2.8 macro.

Panasonic's Fisheye is fairly expensive, if you like that kind of thing.

If you want a tele, the Oly 70-300 is pretty decent, and quite over-priced.

As far as adapted lenses, almost anything with an aperture ring and the ability to focus manually. Canon EF lenses aren't a good choice because there is no practical way to adjust the aperture.

6. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Kentucky
    You are welcome to meet up with me and try out my olympus 45mm

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I guess you go to BHPhoto and pick the two most expensive micro 43 lenses available. Doesn't matter what they are. Too bad that the two most expensive lenses, 12-35 f2.8 and 75mm f1.8 aren't in stock, but those two would set your insurance payout back by about $2100. The 70-300 and 7-14 zooms together would be around $1800.

Maybe you should rebuy the L-lenses to maximize your insurance and then sell them later.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Or return them for a refund once you've gotten the insurance check. Don't even take them out of their boxes.

9. damienangel

damienangel New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Kentucky
    Great suggestions here (especially HarryS's latter option)

I had a 16-35 and a 70-200 but I am not strictly wanting to replicate the range of these 2 lenses exactly.

I would like a good portrait lens as well as solid, sharp prime lens (something that I will have no qualms about leaving on my camera as it will do me well in most situations)

Like i mentioned, prime lenses are fine by me, I do not hesitate to use 'foot zoom'.

D@ne, the setup you are referring to sounds about right.

10. damienangel

damienangel New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Kentucky
    My renters insurance offers special protections for high value items. it was like an extra 4 dollars a month.

11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    If your looking for those two primes I would highly suggest the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 (50 equiv) and the Olympus 45mm f1.8. Those two will set you back about $1000 together. With the lenses that are currently out those would probably be your best bets. The PL25 is my go to walk around lens (and it's solid, sharp and prime!) and does me very well in almost all situations.

12. damienangel

damienangel New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Kentucky
    As much as this seems like fraud it apparently isn't. A good friend of mine is a insurance adjuster and said 'it happens' lol. Anyway, I might pursue this route that way i am not just spending money for the sake of spending money.

13. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Just go here:

Mirrorless System Lenses | B&H Photo Video

And order whatever two near the top (sorted by price, high to low) most closely match your insurance claim a/o sound good to you. If you don't actually want them return them later as mentioned earlier and replace with ones you do want...

14. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Danska right on the money

IMHO you could hardly go wrong with the PL25 and the Oly 45 or 75--go for the 75 if you have the cash and can step back a bit for your portraits. The only other lens to get is a good wide angle like the Oly 12 or the Panasonic 7-14.