Newbie's 1st M43

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by cz9h3d, Feb 20, 2012.

1. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Michigan
    Looking at getting my first ILC, so my demands are minimal. I don't care about hotshoes. Want to capture family moments. Small size is high on my wants. Looking at both the GF3 and E-PM1.

The deals right now on the E-PM1 with both the 14-42 and the 45-150 are very compelling. I know I'll want a tele eventually to capture my kids at school events.

However the GF3's built-in flash is a stong pull - yea, not too powerful, no compensation, but I like that it's there when/if I need it. The 14-42X lens is also attractive from a size perspective - but boy it's "fat". The collapsible Oly is almost as small.

Disclaimer: I have two GF3's in my possession, as well as the 14mm prime, 14-42 , and 14-42PZ - don't ask - Found good deals, and the PZ is still fully returnable.

Anyways - how much is not having a built in flash on the E-PM1 going to impact me? I imagine minimally - using the 14mm indoors will limit the need for flash.

I was set on the GF3 with the 14-42PZ, and maybe the 45-175PZ in the future (I'll keep the 14mm) - but then I added up the price - and compared it to the current OLY promotion with both lenses. Basically the E-PM1 with the zoom/tele is the same price as the GF3 with the 14-42PZ. So then another $200 for a used tele and/or $400 for the PZ tele - and you're talking real money!

Lot's more Olympus promoters on all boards (especially when the GF3 is involved), so I expect to here lots of recommendations for it. Just wondering if I'm missing anything else to consider? I don't care about EVF, GPS, etc. I'm a point & shoot move up, looking at a 3 lens setup.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PM1 does come with a clip-on flash. It's very tiny and will fit in any tiny corner of your camera pouch, and doesn't take up space on the camera when you don't need it. You say you don't need the hotshoe now, but down the road you might want to use it... not just for hotshoe flash but also for triggers. Perhaps as important though, the hotshoe/accessory port also allows you to use the Electronic Viewfinder (VF-2 at 1.44 million dots or VF-3 at 906k dots) as well as the 3.5mm external microphone jack (EMA-1 or SEMA-1). I would personally never buy a camera without hotshoe flash support though, so I wouldn't need to consider further, lol.

If you already have two GF-3's however... don't worry about it. :) They are fine cameras and there's no reason to switch. They are very tiny too (as is the PEN Mini, of course). I would return the PowerZoom lens while you still can though. You will get better performance out of your standard 14-42mm and 14mm prime.

Maybe see if with the return of the PowerZoom you can pick up an m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. That will be a great complement to your 14mm f/2.5, and especially with two bodies you can easily get rid of your other 14-42mm as well.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It doesn't seem like there would be much advantage moving from your GF3 to the E-PM1, especially as there should be new versions of both coming out in the spring/summer.
  4. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Michigan
    I can move from the GF3 to the E-PM1 with no/little financial impact. The 14-42x kit is fully returnable, and I can sell the other/14-42 and keep the 14mm prime for about a $200 impact. So switching isn't a financial hardship. Size is important, so the 14-42X is attractive, regardless if I could get the same shots from the 14-42. That's why the Oly lens and their smaller length/diameter and the attractive prices have me thinking.

BTW, I do like the GF3's touchscreen.

I have to rule out the 45-175X lens - $400 vs. $200 for the 45-200. Big is big, so save the $200 - or just wait for them to hit the used market.

Forcing myself to add it all up (who likes to do that?), the GF3 option with 14-42X, 14mm, and 50-200 has a $185 premium over the E-PM1 with Oly Zoom/Tele and the 14mm. I hate adding all my incremental spending up - ugh.